Monday, April 23, 2012

Seriously...does this EVER work?

This is a short post with the rhetorical question.

Does DE IVF ever work????

I heard from my colleague in the UK who, with his wife, has been coming to a very popular clinic in the US (East Coast) to do a DE cycle after their last IVF cycle failed in December with a miscarriage.

They got super lucky with the donor and put in a 5-day AA rated blastocyst. His wife had her beta on Friday, so I emailed him today asking how it went.

BFN!

I was so shocked because two weeks ago when he told me the blast grade, I was positive it would work....but it did not.

This whole journey is such a crap shoot.

Where are they getting these stats 65% success or whatever else, because I sure as heck am not seeing it in the blogs I read or people I know?

In other news, my head is a lot better today. No headache so far which is amazing given I had one constantly for 6 days.

I better not jinx it.

Four more sleeps until Beta and the end of faux-TWW.  I cannot wait to being able to stop taking these meds!

12 comments:

  1. It can work, but you're right. It's a crapshoot. It's amazing how how "good" an embryo is doesn't seem to matter much sometimes. That 65% you mentioned is the carrot that keeps people coming back to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear tales of it working, but so far, sadly, it hasn't been working too well for the bloggers I follow. :(

    The more I learn about ttc and the likelihood of success, the more I'm amazed that anyone is born at all. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still waiting to hear good news about DE myself before I go ahead and try it next year. I too want to know where they get their stats for even the IVFs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunflower, I am just catching up after 2 weeks of travel and sickness. I am SO SO sorry to hear about your donor cycle yielding disappointing results. You must be so frustrated. I am praying that by some miracle this little embryo implants anyway and results in a healthy baby. But I can totally understand you preparing for that not to be the case. At least your clinic is giving you another cycle - if not I would be pissed!

    Only a few more days to go before beta. Praying for you, thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Newbie. Hope you had a great trip and looking forward to reading your blog and update on the twins.

      Delete
    2. I heard bad news about DE this week too, weird, I thought that was a sure thing. But that 65% has to come from somewhere!! Things have to turn around at some point! Still keeping my fingers crossed for you! xoxo

      Delete
  5. It's a good question. My clinic boasts a 70+ success rate but clearly not for me. DE did, however, give me the 20 happiest weeks of my life. You have to wonder why some people are able to change their fate and others aren't. Still holding out some hope for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter what they say the success rates are, it always seems to be about 30-40%. 2 of the 3 RE's I went to said if you see anyone stating theirs are greater than 50%, it's bogus or they are filtering their cases. I am praying you are in the BFP group coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's tough to have faith that it can work - especially after a disappointment but it can. I know plenty of women who have been successful with DE. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder about the stats too. Maybe the people who it does work for just never say anything about it because they are afraid it'll be taken away.

    ReplyDelete