Sunday, April 15, 2012

PUPO ...sort of...

I slept very badly last night and could feel my BP was elevated all day (could be due to the Medrol) and I was very stressed not knowing how the embryo situation would play out.  They were to call me this morning to say whether I needed to come in for the transfer or if I could wait for Day 5.

So, the phone rings at 8:30am and they want me in today.

I knew that it could not be the best quality, since they prefer to wait for Day 5, but I still had hope that there could be good Day 3 embies.

Unfortunately, my worst case scenarios with respect to the embryos played itself out. 

When I went into the transfer room, I saw the pictures of the two embies on the screen, and even to my untrained eye I knew that they were of mediocre quality at best.

In addition my bladder was super full and I had to empty it out partially twice before the Dr came in. I was kept waiting for about 20 minutes. Then after she had inserted the speculum my bladder was still too full so I had to go partially empty it out AGAIN!   So, it was very uncomfortable and quite unlike last time when the Dr came in immediately as soon as I was set up.

Then the embryologist shows up and and gived me the not so good news that the embies were 4-5 cell only which is slow for Day 3. They should ne 6-8 cell at least. So, basically crappy response.

They wanted to put in two.  I said "only one" since crappy or not, I am not wanting to take a chance with twins at  ALL. I told them I was single and plus given my age I could not risk carrying twins. They agreed with me on both counts.

So they put in one 5 cell...the others will be grown over the next day or so to see if they make it to blasts and if so they will be frozen. They cheerily said "Good Luck" and "You never know etc etc"...which was not much consolation really.

The Dr did say that if this transfer does not result in pregnancy, which I am positive it cannot with a lagging embie, I do get another donor cycle for free due the program I signed up for originally.

So, on the good side I can cycle again at their cost, the bad side is that I have to cycle again which I was wanting to avoid and hoping this was the "one".

I guess not! 

I am sure they are not happy either and will not be surprised if they pull the donor off the roster.

Of course there is the question of the sperm as well, and if there could be an issue there. But from my reading, after the initial fertilization, the sperm kicks in on Day 4, so the first 3 days the growth is based on the egg itself.

So, I am PUPO technically.  My Mom was in the transfer room and saw the embie dropped in there which was cool.

I cannot explain how I feel - I think indifference describes it best.  This is a curveball I frankly did not anticipate. I knew that getting a BFP was no guarantee, but I did not expect zero good quality embies.

Anyways, on the bright side, at least I will not be obsessing over the TWW.

I will lounge around today a bit after lunch and take a nap, but no bed rest. I may go for a stroll this evening if the weather is nice.

Just going to lead a normal life and see how it all pans out.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, kiddo! I'm sorry for such disappointing results. It seems like I am hearing more and more people who try donor eggs and are just not getting good results. I've always liked the thought of PUPO but I honestly don't know if I will be able to think that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive thoughts your way Sunflower, you never know. But it's great news you are able to cycle again for free, if needed. I know it's a pain, but at least it's free... But for now, let's hope that embryo brings you your baby. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand the poor donor resonse. Does you clinic have their own donors? If so why don't they do a better job investigating whether they will be a good responder or not. Anyway, you never know what'll happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have their own donor pool and from what I have read they have 100% to 80% fert rates, so I have no idea what happened with my donor. Needless to say I have a lot of questions for them.

      Delete
  4. I'm very sorry to hear about the disappointing results from the donor. I wish you could have gone into your tww with more reason to hope. Nevertheless, I'm still going to send lots of good thoughts your way. You never know when a miracle will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry this cycle has turned out to be so disappointing. I hope you get a surprise BFP...sort of hope for the best, expect the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that the sperm doesn't kick in until day 4. I thought that once ICSI was used it was altogether at the point. Interesting and I'll have to read up on that little fact. So well this doesn't sound so promising but I'll keep you in my prayers that it does stick and you will be pregnant with a good beta number. I am glad, however, that they are willing to give you a free cycle if it doesn't work. Yeah, can't blame you for wanting to change out both donors either. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never know, so I've been told many a time. Thinking of you-hoping that embie was waiting til transfer to do it's thing.

    ReplyDelete