Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Ultrasound #1 - Updated

Today I went for my first ultrasound.

And to say that I was filled with nervous anticipation is an understatement.

I first had my blood drawn to check E2 and P4 levels and then went to the U/S room. It was a technician whom I had had before back in Oct.

As I was settling down she asked me "your husband could not make it?"  I told her I was single and doing this on my own. She said "that's wonderful" and asked if someone was with me today. So I said my Dad was in the waiting room and got all emotional and teary eyed telling her how wonderful my parents have been.

The moment she inserted the wand, she said "I see a heartbeat". The relief that flooded me was unbelievable.

She showed me the monitor and I could see the tiny flickering heart and then I heard it.

It is indeed the most amazing sound in this world.

And emanating from within my body -- AMAZING!

The bean is at 6w5d and heart rate of 134 beats/min. It measures .827cm CRL.

I am amazed, stunned, in AWE and so totally in love with this tiny life inside me.

I then met with my RE.

He was very happy and said everything looks good. The blood results will determine if I can begin weaning off the Estrace or keep the same dosage. He asked me how I was feeling and if I had any spotting, cramping, nausea, etc.

I had a list of questions to ask him and he answered them all. He said the next step was an U/S in 1.5 to 2 weeks and of it looked okay I would be graduated. He suggested I book an appt. with my OB about 3 weeks out so I will get that done this week.

After the appt. I  went to the waiting room and showed my Dad the picture. He was really happy for me. 

It was nearly lunchtime by the time we got home and since I had taken the day off I took my Dad to lunch to a pizza place. I actually had an appetite so figured I should make the most of it.  My Mom called me when she got back from work and is also very pleased.

I will post the picture later, right now I need to nap :-)

Updated  9:16pm:

Thanks for your kind comments and for being such a great cheering squad!

Here is the pic of today's U/S:

The dotted line is the embryo measurement. I think its now technically a fetus. The round thing to the right of the line is the yolk sac, and the black area is the amniotic fluid.

I spoke with my Sis this evening. She had stopped by my parents place earlier and enquired how my ultrasound went and they had filled her in.  I figured I should call her, she seemed really happy. Last Sat I met my BIL and he hugged me and congratulated me on the pregnancy. The kids don't know yet and we will hold off a bit longer on telling them.

For dinner I ate a piece of pizza and some raw organic veggies - cucumber, celery and yellow pepper. Shall have some mango and blueberries in an hour or so. Really craving fruits and veggies thankfully. Thought of meat makes me quesy.

My stomach is feeling more settled today. The RE said that my "symptoms" would come and go and they are no indication of the progress of the pregnancy so to not over think them.

I bought a 30 day supply of prescription pre-natals. Boy are they pricey -- $60 for 30 days. I will use those for another month since this early stage is super critical and the switch to a regular brand.

Rebecca, yes I will post belly pics as things progress. I have taken a 4 week pic and will take a 7 week tomorrow.

Nurse called at 2pm to day E2 and P4 looks fine and to continue current dosage of meds.  Next ultrasound is on Aug 31st.

12 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! Great news - so surreal, hey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you! Congratulations! & yeah for such a great tech to let you know all was alright right away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! I'm so happy for you! Yes, that little flicker up on the screen is one of the most amazing things. I remember the flood of emotions that washed over me when I first saw my bean's heart flickering. Continued good wishes for a great pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so very happy. Can't wait to see the photo. Are you going to be posting belly bumps later on too? Or nursery photos?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaaay Sunflower! You're on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God, I'm so happy for you! I am tearing up. I was praying so hard as I opened your post! I look forward to seeing the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Heartfelt congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been slooooowly working my way through my backlog of blogs on my RSS feed so I'm sorry I'm late to the game. I was so happy to see this post when it popped up. This is such great news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMAZING! I got a bit teary reading this... So happy for you x

    ReplyDelete