....the dragon that is my insatiable hunger (and thirst).
I am very hungry which is the predominant symptom I have right now, more so than tiredness. I eat and eat and am still hungry.
I do eat healthy normally. So in general my calorie intake is lower than most, but my normal diet that sufficed before sure is not cutting it.
Today I went to the store and bought a bunch of organic fruits, veggies, hummus, cheese and meats.
I decided to roast a chicken so I have lean protein to chomp on during the day. The rotisserie chickens are convenient, but not organic, and I am really trying to swap out as much regular stuff for organic. Its something I have always wanted to do and been moving towards the past year, but now its just taken bit more of a front seat.
So, I bake this chicken at 450 degrees for 50 min, and the another 25 min or so. It looks great and juices are clear. But the internal temp only went up to 165 degrees...normally they say it should be 180.
Anyways, I take it out to rest, go for a nice mile long walk and when its finally time to eat and I cut into it...I think its a little pink - or is it??? Chicken always makes me nervous!
Sigh... so I nuke some of it since I am now starving which makes it taste nasty and I end up eating some roasted broccoli for dinner and a spoonful of shrimp left over from yesterday. Obviously not enough food or protein!
I stuck the chicken back in the oven for another 30 min.
I was quite tired by then and so sick of the chicken that I was ready to hurl it across the room.
After it cooled I put in the the fridge and will deal with it tomorrow. If I make soup or something it will get cooked some more so should be fine.
Later I ended up having crackers with cheese since I never really ate any dinner and will probably have cereal before bed. I actually found organic saltines!
This afternoon, I called my OB just to touch base. I know she does not take maternity cases so I wanted to know what the protocol would be when the times comes for me to graduate from my RE. Her nurse said to book an appt. and she will see me and we can discuss which Dr in her practice I should go to. I really trust this Dr and she is the head of the practice, so I would like her suggestion.
I have a annual physical on Monday which includes a fasting blood draw. I called the nurse telling her that I was 6 weeks pregnant and I doubt I could go 12+ hrs without food. I now wake up at 6am starving even after a good dinner and a snack at 11pm! She said I could have a snack as late as 1am the night before but if I feel sick I should eat and they will reschedule. I have often wondered how pregnant women do their GDD tests.
One more week until ultrasound. Thanks for all the comments yesterday and personal experiences.
I am so very very VERY thirsty. That is my main symptom. I had food aversion for a few weeks but that changed within the past week. Now I am back to waking up hungry (my usual routine).
ReplyDeleteI was STARVING throughout my first trimester and in much of my second. Make sure to eat - you are a healthy eater, so you don't need to worry about over-doing it. Frequent, small meals worked best for me. But listen to your body - it wants nutrition for that little one inside of you! So excited for you and can't wait for your first u/s!
ReplyDeleteYes, sticking to healthy snacks, like hummus and veggie, or apple with low fat cheese type things. Keeping portions normal sized.
DeleteI've been pretty hungry and super thirsty too!
ReplyDeleteAt 6 weeks pregnant, your baby needs VERY LITTLE in terms of extra calories. You're just hungry because it's breakfast time and your body expects to eat. Make your appointment first thing in the morning and after 'breakfast time' has passed, you will be fine and can pack a snack to dig into right after the blood draw.
ReplyDeleteYou don't want to delay your physical for very long because the results won't mean anything in a few weeks.. for example, when you're pregnant your cholesterol goes sky high but that's normal.
So eh.. just suck it up and go, or skip it until after you have the baby. You'll be seeing plenty of doctors in the meantime.
Hoping that you'll find a new normal routine that works for you with late night cravings that are sure to disrupt your previous schedule. I never have enough baked chicken to last to make into soup.
ReplyDeleteI think it makes sense that you want to eat more, you body is gearing up for a big job the next year.
ReplyDelete