Sunday, January 29, 2012

Workout, Pancakes, Friends

I woke up today really looking forward to yoga...only to go to the gym and find out that the class was cancelled due to some other all day class/training they were doing.

I was very disappointed. But since I was there I got on the treadmill, elliptical, then treadmill again, used some of the machines and did some yoga stretches.

It was fun using some of the machines. I used to have membership in a gym in CA where I went regularly for years, but after I left CA and moved to the South, I did not sign up for a gym membership.  I have a prepaid "guest pass" which I use to go for Sat yoga classes. The rest of the time I exercise outdoors, mainly brisk walking or in inclement weather use my stationary bike. So, anyway it was fun using some of my old fav machines after so long. Bet I will be sore tomorrow :-)

On the way to the gym I saw a sign for an annual fundraiser "pancake" breakfast. I had forgotten it was today and did not have a ticket although they can be purchased at the door. I usually go every year after yoga stopping by for sausage patties and pancakes. Its probably the only time in the year I eat pancakes....nevertheless today I decided to skip it altogether. Figured processed meat, white flour and sugary syrup are likely not a good meal choice, despite all the calories burned.  So, I picked up my usual salad lunch, came home and since I was high on endorphins, vacuumed, dusted and mopped the downstairs floor.

I don't have any specific plans for tomorrow. There is a musical in our local theatre that I would like to see. I may go for tomorrow 3pm show if are seats available, or book for the following Fri night. They have a few interesting shows coming up this season, so that will be entertaining.

I may have mentioned I don't have any friends where I live. They are all long distance.  I am thinking of expanding my social circle, and by that I mean girl friends to hang out with, but I am holding back a bit.

Why you may ask?

Simply because making a friend means telling them about yourself and your life and right now where I am -- TTC etc -- I really don't want to have those conversations with anyone. Plus I cannot deal with people who are too needy. So, while it will be nice to have company to go see a show or have a meal occasionally, I don't want to feel pressured to have to meet somebody or "make plans" every weekend.

I have had girlfriends like that in the past and I found it too exhausting. I need my alone time. So, for now I am enjoying my own company. There are a couple of ladies who have expressed an interest to hang out and neither seem the clingy sort -- so I may ask one of them to come along to see the musical on Fri if she can get daycare for her kid. But I will think it over....

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You moved across the country to a location where you had no friends? I did that when I was 18 to go to college and have imagined moving again (but not across the country- I'm too much of a wimp for that), but I probably never will because I value the security of my job. You're pretty brave.

    I can definitely understand being cautious about bringing new people into your life. If you're not careful, there are people who make you want to pack up and move again. Hopefully though you will find some folks you can casually hang out with occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say get out there, go have a simple coffee. You might find someone you click with and have a great laugh. What about group exercise? Do you hav that there? We have chic only BootyCamps, who train twice a week on and by the beach. Good way to meet like minded women and exercise too. I find yoga to be so silent and everyone even whispers in the change rooms. Maybe it's the spiritual thing of Bikram yoga, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand needing the me time. I do like to get out of the house from time to time and I do miss catching a musical or play like I did back home. Seems like I'd have to drive an hour to go see one around here.

    ReplyDelete