This week had been particularly stressful, and I am so glad that its the weekend.
It all started on Monday AM when we had customer after customer report a portion of our environment was down. Turns out the issue had been reported by a customer on the previous Fri but IT just decided to ignore it citing not adequate resources to troubleshoot. Can you believe that?? So, come Monday we now had 3 additional customers reporting the same issue. Then there was a mad dash to get it fixed, it got escalated to executive management and was a whole day drama. That issue lead to another issue, we also had a release going out that was having trouble, so its been a week of fighting fires, which frankly are all self created.
But the upside is the our Exec team finally sees the systemic issues first hand; things that my colleagues and I have been telling them for months but they chose to ignore it. So this week our VP of Product Development got a flea in his ear by two of my customers on issues that I have been hankering to have resolved and not got any traction from our Engineering Dept. It is so very frustrating!
Then of course there was the whole colonoscopy thing which on my mind all week and was stressful to prepare and go through. I took yesterday off, but by afternoon was on my Blackberry sending emials.
Today was also spent pacifyng a customer on some other long standing issue. Everyone is stressed and exhausted and frankly I have no sympathy for our Product and Eng dept. Our new CEO replaced 90% of the company with new people including an entirely new Engineering dept. who are still not fully familiar with the code which I admit was in a mess from the past. So, we have a situation of the blind leading the blind and those of us old timers in other roles within the company, who do know things, are not asked much.
Anyhow, I am so glad that its Friday, my procedure is over so its a big relief. Its been playing on my mind for 2 months now. I was so tired yesteday just from the relief of knowing its over and all was fine. I must have slept 10hrs last night!
My parents came over for dinner tonight to my place and we got takeout. It was fun hanging out with them and nice change of scene for them to come over to my place.
I did manage to squeeze in a walk this afternoon and it felt nice to get some blood moving given I had not done any exercise on Wed and yesterday and was at my desk all day.
Tomorrow is yoga. I missed last Sat since I had just got back from Seattle. Wow -- that trip seems ages ago but its was this time last week I got home from the airport.
Oh, mad customers, I don't envy you. Enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteLong week-yuck! I hope the weekend is much better.
ReplyDeleteWow sounds like a real mess at work. Hope the take out food was good. I miss good take out food. I miss decent Chinese food. I swear the best Chinese food is in NY.
ReplyDeleteMy mind is on food. Sorry.
Glad you're getting a breather from the stresses of the week. You are giving me flashbacks to when I was working - of all of the issues that drove me crazy, I think the worst were always IT related. I am so glad I don't have to deal with that nightmare right now. Hope you have a relaxing yoga session and recharge for the week.
ReplyDelete