Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Being one's own advocate!

A lot of us have heard that remark made on blogs and many of us are, indeed, our own advocates, but its still amazing how much Dr's will let slip by and unless we push for our own care.

Case in point:

Vit D levels....

I first heard about it on a blog but did not pay much attention to it for IF purposes.  But then I noticed I was getting colds more frequently and realized that Vit D affects the immune system, so I finally asked my OB to schedule the blood test. I was borderline low and got the appropriate treatment. My second blood test - 8 weeks - later was fine. I am still waiting on the exact number, more on that later.

During my own research I found out that Vit D can affect things like diabetes, high blood pressure etc, so I mentioned it to my Mom since she is borderline pre-diabetic.  She had her Dr do the blood test during an annual physical and she is low. She has been put on the 8 week regiment of D2 plus the OTC D3.  I mean here is someone who is borderline in a chronic condition and her Dr did not even bother to order the test which could improve it?  Its mind boggling!

Second situation...

I am running out of my prenatals and need to buy another bottle. I figured that there is a small chance  that I could be pregnant on this 90 days supply bottle if my cycle works.  Therefore, I decided to see what better prenatals are out there and did some googling. There are so many options.

Just on a whim, I emailed the DE coordinator and asked her if the clinic recommends a particular brand. I was reading about DHEA etc and was not sure what is really recommended.  She replies back, "Dr S recommends prenatals with DHEA so I will call in a prescription for you!".

I was so shocked.  Had I not asked the question, I would not have been told that! 

So, its Day 7 on Lupron.

No side effects, other than a bit tired and sleeping a bit restlessly but that is likely because the allergies are playing up.

The pollen count today was 9300!!  YIKES.

The highest it was last year was upper 3000's.  We have not had rain and the wind is making things worse. I am relatively okay with the Zyrtec and only have bouts of sneezing/runny nose. I am being able to go out to water the plants. Though I am refraining from exercising outside.

Anyways, back to Lupron.....no AF yet, but its only Day 27.

I did take my temp this AM just to see how many more days to go and it was 98.50.  After years to temping, my progression is normally very predictable as follows: 98.50, 98.34, 98.17, 97.90 and then AF.

So, I have about 4-5 more days to go assuming it will start going down tomorrow.  The nurse did say that Lupron can extend the cycle out. So, not too worried...it will come when it comes, but I would be glad to have some hard dates on the cycle. It all very nebulous right now.

I called my OB's office yesterday to get the exact number of my new Vit D count.  I only got a generic email that "your levels are fine". Its crazy that they don't think it important enough to actually tell you the number.  Of course nobody called me back to say it had been mailed.

Sigh, tomorrow I have to call again!

Dinner tonight: Moroccan Lemon Chicken, couscous and roasted broccoli.  Cheating on the chicken since I have a ready made sauce but shall throw in some olives to add authenticity :-)

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I've recently been wondering if there are specific tests that I should request before IVF so I can ensure the best possible outcome. Sometimes I find drs don't even bother with a lot of stuff unless you ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true...how important it is to be your own health care advocate. As someone once told me, no one cares about you more than you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vitamin D is something I struggle with constantly. I laugh that I am half-vampire. Even my NP at the clinic (not even the RE's office) has talked to me about Vitamin D and its importance in many things. So I am generally on a prescription D year-round. It was actually Jay from Stork Stalking who originally got me looking into it. I can tell a difference in how I feel when I am good about taking it. By the way, remind them that there are different guidelines for TTC/ pregnancy and you would rather err on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good comment Jen, I like that. Yep, we do know our bodies best. At my appt yesterday I was the one to suggest an AMH test, and she said "not a bad idea"! Yeah no shit, I'm 35, it would be nice to know how many eggs I have in this basket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post. I've never had my vitamin D levels checked and I think it's time I asked about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the tendency to have low vit D levels too. I've already been on the prescription medicine. I'm supposed to get checked yearly now.

    My prenatals don't have DHEA in them and they are prescription, what is the benefit of the DHEA? Does it improve estrogen?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There have a been a lot of studies on vitamin D lately. In fact, most North Americans are vitamin D deficient. As a result, I've been taking a supplement for a while now. I've never had my levels tested; perhaps I should.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just by way of reference, C.CRM wants your Vit D levels to be above 30 mg before transfer. I think mine was 32 mg after supplementation. Congrats on being proactive and getting results!

    ReplyDelete