Friday, November 18, 2011

Its that time of the year....

...when we are forced to stop and take stock of our lives and consciously look at what we have to be thankful for.

I personally would have loved to have been writing this post today as a 7week 3 day pregnant SMC.  But that did not come about. And while that sucks, I also realize that I still have many things in my life to be thankful for.

Sometimes infertility has us so caught up in what we don't have - our losses, our broken dreams - that we miss out on how lucky we are to have what we do.

Like supportive parents. 

Dad's who drive with you to every RE appt so you have company on the 2 hr commute, and patiently sit in the waiting room. Dad's, who don't ask too many questions coz they are a tad embarrassed, but still tell you that they are praying that it all works out.

Mom's who call you each afternoon as soon as they come from work to check on your follie size or blood results, and on whose shoulder you can break down and sob at the news of your unviable pregnancy.

Wonderful colleagues, who in the midst of their own lives and work, remember the exact day you are to have a beta, call you to see if you had got the results, and support you when you tell them the not so good news.

We should be thankful....

That we are still employed and holding jobs in such a difficult economic times.

That science has developed to a point where we have the ability to nudge our 40+ year old bodies to try and procreate, and given us options that may not have existed before.

That we can move and walk and work, and despite infertility, are generally healthy.

That we have homes and cars and computers and all the basics things we need to be comfortable in life.

That there are wonderful young men and women out there who are willing to be donors so we can have families (I know they get compensated but its still something to be thankful for.)

And finally this wonderful IF community filled with strong, independent, brave women who give us the strength everyday to continue on this path, who lift us up when we are down, and helps us celebrate our achievements, big or small.

I truly don't know where I would be without all these people who surround me IRL and in this virtual world, and if nothing else, I am thankful for that!

2 comments:

  1. You are very right. We often lose sight of all the things that are good. Your folks are amazing.

    ReplyDelete