Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Crossroads

I am at crossroads.

I thought I had it figured out.

This was my plan -- I would give one shot to IVF with my eggs and then move to DE. But with my last IVF I was so close to being pregnant, that I am wondering if I should try again.

I promised myself I would not sway from my plan, but now my resolve is weakening.....

After my first IVF bombed and got converted to IUI, I started my next protocol with trepidation. I wanted to do a complete end-to-end IVF cycle so I would not have any regrets later in life that I did not try.

I decided that even if I only got 2 follicles this time around I would do retrieval. I needed someone to get those eggs out and look at them through a microscope and see in real life what the quality was like. I wanted closure on my eggs.

I thought I got that with my recent IVF.

I had 11 AFC which is pretty good for my age, 8 follicles, 6 eggs retrieved, 5 mature and ICSI'd, but only 2 fertilized. I was so happy when I got to retrieval. I felt that I had accomplished my goal, since we were were not just working with 1-2 mature eggs, but SIX and that will really answer my questions of the quality of my eggs.  Well it did, my eggs are crap and there is no guarantee that with my next round I will get more eggs or more will fertilize.

As crass as it may sound, it all comes down to money. Sure, I would love to do multiple IVFs like Celine Dion and end up with a genetic child, but I don't have that kind of a bank balance

I have no IVF coverage. I do however have meds coverage for which I am grateful because otherwise I could not have done the two cycles I did.

I cannot but ask myself - how are the couples and single ladies in the blogs paying for multiple cycles of IVF and donor eggs?   I mean this stuff is expensive, and especially clinics like CC.RM which cost a pretty penny.   Donor eggs, I was googling, can be about 25K or more. Is it insurance, loans, savings, refis? Or do they know some less expensive agencies that I am unaware of?  Or do they just have kick-ass IVF coverage? 
There is a term in real estate called "house poor"  - meaning you buy a very expensive house and you have that asset but not much left in the bank. I don't want to be "baby poor" where I have a baby but end up compromising both our financial futures.

Where does one draw the line???? 

The scary part is that donor eggs is also not a 100% guarantee, sure its better than 40+ year old eggs -- by FAR better, but after my chemical it has opened up a whole other level of paranoia of do I have "natural killer cells" or something like that which could impact a donor cycle?

My RE dismissed my fears during my WTF earlier this month -- but I cannot help but wonder.

Sigh -- its like being on a hamster wheel sometimes.

Maybe tonight I need to get myself some wine, watch a movie and not obsessively read blogs ;-) 

7 comments:

  1. I've had 7 complete IVFs and one cancelled. I got pregnant twice and lost both. I'm doing donor eggs and I still wish it would have worked with my own, but at times I wish I would have stopped doing IVF earlier. I did my last cycle with very little hope but I needed to quit IVF on my own terms. As for money, I'm spending my savings. I'd rather have kids at 90 than money. Let me know if you want to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Evelyn. Yes, I would like to talk and get some real life perspective. I am leaving for vactaion on Sat, so will reach out to you after I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think each person is different. Not only the finances, but the emotional journey and diagnosis. If you know the eggs are bad, then is it easier to choose DE to experience pregnancy (hopefully)...but as you said, that is still not a guarantee.
    We are onto our 3rd fresh and then done. We had help from my nana and parents for two of them, otherwise would not have been able to. C would do it one more time, but I can't stomach the money and the health risks it was advised I don't.
    In my mind right now, we gave it our all. 3 fresh tries and if it doesn't work, it likely won't. Each passing fail drops success rates significantly. We will (hopefully) then spend the IVF money (plus some) on adoption. Not my ideal but I know once the baby comes it won't matter. it took me a loooooong time to be able to say that out loud. and I can say it, but when someone else does I still get upset...its all a process I guess:)
    We don't have any IVF coverage making it expensive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: "how do these single ladies afford it," this single lady in particular cashed out my entire IRA, maxed out my credit card, maxed out my home equity line, and opened a second credit card which, you guessed it, I maxed out. I will have the credit cards paid off within 6 to 9 months, I hope, but the IRA (which was by far the largest portion of the total) is gone and I'll never get it back. I decided to take what money I had and give it one GREAT shot at CC.RM, rather than 2 or 3 iffy shots at a discount IVF packager. I may end up "baby poor" for a while (even a few years), but eventually I will make a comeback, plus I can ask for support from my family...and if I've got a babe or two in my arms, it will all have been worth it. To be honest, I think it will have been worth it even if I fail; at least I will know that I did everything I could, and there is something to be said for that. If this doesn't work for me, I won't try DE; I'll move on to foster/adopt. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I also have zero insurance coverage for fertility, so I've paid almost every dime of this out of pocket (except for maybe a few paltry hundred bucks on some common tests and drugs). Ugh, it's been a tough pill to swallow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all out of pocket and we've spent 150K so far on IF. When we did our first IVF we said this is the first and last, but it wasn't, as you know we are down to 4 now and for real we are stopping now. We have paid most of it already but we still have money on CC. I do not regret it but I would definitely be happier if I had a baby to show for it, but we don't. It really doesn't matter what your plans were, you did get pregnant and did get very close, so it's normal to want to try again with your own eggs. I'll keep reading, you may have already made your decision :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, We have literally suffered and exhausted all our monies in becoming parents. After 3 failed ivf's we were desperately in search of a honest and ethical IVF Clinic in India. Thats when we found Bloom IVF Clinic in Mumbai , India. Within 3 months we became proud parents of twin baby. I and my hubby would highly recommend this clinic to all. Alsoi I wanted to share my experience of travelling the length and breadth of India searching for reliable and affordable IVF Clinics and based on my experience I have ranked them accordingly. All are good !

    No 1.
    Bloom IVF Clinics
    www.bloomivf.com

    info@bloomivf.com

    IVF Centre, Lilavati Hospital & Research Centre
    2nd Floor, A 791, Bandra Reclamation
    Bandra West, Mumbai 400050

    Locations:
    Mumbai| Navi Mumbai | Delhi | Gurgaon | Mohali | Noida | Chandigarh | Faridabad | Bengaluru

    In this profession practicing assisted reproductive technology since last 22 years. Treated around 25000 patients in India & abroad. An efficient team of specialized world class doctors and technicians.

    No 2.
    The Apollo Hospitals Center for Assisted Reproduction
    www.hyderabad.apollohospita...

    Apollo Health City
    Jubilee Hills ,Hyderabad 500033,
    Telangana State, India.

    The Apollo Hospitals Center for Assisted Reproduction offers world class infertility treatment in India with advanced procedures and equipment has been achieving high success rates.

    No 3.
    Max Healthcare
    www.maxhealthcare.in

    Press Enclave Road Saket
    110017 New Delhi , DL
    India

    We understand seeking medical treatment outside your home can be physically and mentally difficult. So at Max, we are eager to get you home!.

    No 4.
    Dr. Rama's Institute for Fertility
    www.fertilityindia.com

    Jaslok Hospital & Research Centre
    15 - Dr. Deshmukh Marg,
    Pedder Road, Mumbai- 400026
    The Jaslok Hospital is committed to treating patients with medical excellence, care, compassion & tenderness. It offers support to the patients and their family members, who find themselves in such environment where they have to interact with new people, new places, new doctors and other personnel.

    No 5.
    BLK Hospital
    www.blkhospital.com

    Building No-5, Pusa Road,
    Rajinder Nagar, Prasad Nagar,
    Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi, Delhi 110005

    BLK Super Speciality Hospital has a unique combination of the best in class technology, put to use by the best names in the professional circles to ensure world-class health care to all patients. Spread on five acres of land, with a capacity of 650 beds, BLK Super Speciality Hospital is one of the largest tertiary care private hospitals in the country.

    ReplyDelete