Saturday, February 18, 2012

Socializing and Casting Calls

This morning I headed out to yoga with alacrity.

My fav yoga teacher was teaching the class today so did not want to be late. It was an awesome class. I love noticing how tight I am in the beginning of class and how loose my muscles are after all that stretching.

At the car park I met one of my yoga classmates. He is a guy in his late 50's, a regular attendee to class for 3-4 years now.  He is very chatty and we got talking one day a few years back, but its always on a "hello/how are you" basis. I have run into him outside of class a few times too. He knew that I was married, yet on many occasions he asked me if I wanted to have lunch with him. I always avoided accepting the invitation although he insisted it was "like friends". 
He is a super chatty guy and I on the other hand don't like talking much about myself IRL, so I have avoided lunch with some excuse or other and I think he finally figured it out.

However, we do talk a bit before/after class, mainly its him telling me about this book he is writing on leadership, and what stage it is in, etc.  A couple of weeks back I ran into him and a lady friend at Pa.nera Bread and he introduced me. She seemed really nice, and I liked her in the few minutes we talked.  Anyway, he has been asking for my email address to send me this document on Leadership to get my feedback. So, finally after months of delaying it I gave him my secondary email address last Sat and last evening he sent me this document to read.

It was actually very interesting with real life stories about how companies have succeeded using certain principles and behaviour changes. So, today I ran into him in the car park and we chatted about his book. After class, he introduced me to another lady at yoga and said that he and his lady friend and this other older person and her husband wanted to get together for lunch sometime in summer and if I wanted to join them. I said I would....maybe this is a way to increase my social circle a bit.  I have not mentioned I am now divorced, just so there is no opportunity of him asking me on a 1-1 lunch again.

After yoga I decided to check out this casting call they were having in my city for a popular TV series and an unnamed movie. I have never seen a casting call so I dropped by. There was a long line of people all dressed in business attire since they were looking for LA-type professional people.  I had thought about going for it, but I did not want to miss yoga. 

There I ran into my neighbour from across the street who had also come to watch the fun, so we hung out a bit and watched what was going on. Both she and her husband - they are in their 70's or 80's - love the theatre so we talked a bit about the local plays they have seen. 

So, its been quite a social day.

Tonight I am going over to my parents for Sat family dinner. I have not seen my niece and nephew in two weeks since last Sat was the whole brouhaha with my Sis and I skipped the family evening.  I am looking forward to seeing the teenagers tonight.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a day! Very eventful, and yes, social! Just curious - does your work relate to the man's book or you just have interest in the topic? It does sound like an interesting topic. Have fun at dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You little social butterfly! Sounds like a good day, and interesting. Have a nice dinner!!I went to our National Dramatic Arts centre in Ausralia for a summer school with the belief I wanted to be an actor myself. I ended up a cop, go figure that out..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social butterfly is right. I like it! Sometimes taking a little chance can open new doors to friendships you never expected. Have fun with your neice & nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your social circle might be expanding. I hope that your future luncheon goes well.

    ReplyDelete