Friday, February 10, 2012

Incensed

I just had the most unbelievable conversation with my Mom - and I don't mean in a good way.

It started with her asking if I had fixed a date for the DE cycle because that she had a few concerns that she wanted to talk to me about. We decided that we would talk in the evening tomorrow.

Of course, curiosity got the better of me and when we spoke later in the evening I asked her what she wanted to ask. So she hesitantly asked me if I was sure I wanted to do this and if I had thought through the impact it would have on my life, basically that a baby changes everything.

I told her that I was ready for that change, and sure while I too sometimes have doubts, I also know that sometimes in life one needs to take a leap of faith and do something without over-thinking it.

Seriously, if people actually started thinking about day to day what issues could arise raising a child nobody would ever do it.

So, then my Mom brings up this thing -- very hesitantly asking if I have thought about guardianship of the child in the event something happens to me. Of course she did not say that but I could see where she was going with it.

Apparently my sister brought it up and said that she was done bringing up her kids and did not want responsibility for a child, and SHE basically asked my Mom to see if I had given it any thought.

Can you believe that?  I had written a post about my sis and her selfishness....but I was shocked that she would even mention it!

I am not even pregnant yet and SHE is concerned that she does not get saddled with a baby in the event I died???????

F-ing unbelievable!!!!

I told my Mom, that I given her selfishness I would not plan to have her as a guardian anyways, so she can stop worrying about it.

I am so incensed right now.

My sis has not even acknowledging my chemical or my divorce last year, and basically being completely disinterested in the entire process. I had posted about that back in Nov.

Yet she had become the guardian of a  total stranger who is the son of a friend. Sure that kid is 22 yrs old but is troubled, cannot keep a job, etc.  She has also become the guardian of the mother who is 60+ year old and is always in poor health, breaking her arm, hip etc every few months.

My sis is married to a very selfish man who has maintained no ties with his family.  Their kids, now 17yrs and 19 yrs, though smart have no family they are contact with other than my parents and myself.  They are being brought up as equally selfish people like their parents who don't believe in helping family even in small ways. My sis has never offered to take my parents to any Drs appts, or anything, and when she does she always flakes out at the last minute.

She has been blessed with a very good life - no issues, no drama - and I think that has added to her general selfishness.

Well, enough said -- I am extremely disappointed in my sister. Though why  would be is odd given I know how she is.

Frankly after last year, I was not planning to rely on her anyways.

I am sad to say that I think my contact with her will probably only remain until my parents are alive, I don't foresee continuing it after that.

Oh and here is something ironic -- my sis's husband was 43yrs when their younger kid was born....so that is no different than what age I will be!  AND she has had my parents as primary and me as secondary guardian all these years.....I did not tell her that "hey I am having a great life I don't want to be saddled with your kids!"

Update: 
I have certanly thought through the guardainship previously and I will make appropriate arragements if I was to get pregnant. It is the responsible thing to do, and I don't disagree with that. My point is that instead of mentioning the guardianship aspect, she is more interested in making sure that her life does not get affected. That is what bothers me...if something was to happen to her I would do everything in my power to be there for her kids, regardless of how I was situated in life.

6 comments:

  1. I would be livid too. She has completely brushed the point that you would have to be dead for any guardianship to take over. Dead! You are right, she is selfish, and you wouldn't want your child being raised by her ways.

    Rise above her. She appears to be the centre of her own universe and that is fine. You dont have to live on her planet..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes as much as we would like things to be different, we just have to accept that certain people are limited in major ways. Your sister is one of them, but you already know that you can't count on her. Now, not to be "on her side," guardianship is a good point. On choicemoms (back when I actually visited the site), they do suggest that we make guardian decisions while pregnant because we never know what will happen. Not to further bring you down, several years ago when I first began down this past, a member of the community had died in childbirth. That has always hung over me. If I am ever blessed to be pregnant, pretty early on I will make my will and set up guardianship papers for worst case scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like family to drive you completely batty! Well, this is just confirmation that you don't want to ever be in a position to depend on your sister. She is clearly not the right person to be a guardian to your child! At least she knows this herself, so you don't have to worry about offending her. I'm sorry you had to go through this, and hope you don't have to deal with any inflammatory comments for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister has a similar personality and like you I would never want her to be a guardian. I wouldn't even want her to babysit.

    It's sad that a family gets to that point but it makes growing you circle of friends more important because these are the people you would want you kids to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a much better person than your sister, but I'm sure you already know that. Its reasons like this why I am no longer in contact with my sibling.

    ReplyDelete