Its Mardi Gras today - which is French for "Fat Tuesday" and it is supposed to be the last day of festivity before Lent.
You all probably know this already, but I only just googled it last night :-) Apparantly you are supposed to partake of a big fatty meal on Fat Tuesday, hence the name I guess.
So, while I am not planning on eating the traditional fatty meal, neither am I participating in Lent, nevertheless, in the spirit of the day I will be taking out my "beads" and making myself a cocktail of some sort, and a New Orleans inspired dinner of Cajun shrimp with rice and kale and having my own Mardi Gras party - for one.
I wanted to do collard greens but I don't know how to cook them the right way and did not want to bother with ham hocks, and slow cookers, etc. I try to keep my cooking to be no more than 30 min, so I cannot be bothered with too much fuss. So, kale it is, although cleaning it will probably take me 30 min!
Off I go --- will blog how it all turned out later.
Updated:
Dinner has been cooked and eaten and the kitchen mess cleaned up. It came out quite good, and looked exactly like the photo http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/True-Shrimp-Creole
The next time I shall add some cayenne pepper to make it spicier but I purposely kept it bit lower key today. I like to listen to an "oldies" music station on while cooking. So today while I was making the shrimp, Elvis's "King Creole" song came on -- what a coincidence!
And no, I am not from New Orleans. Although I have visited once and the food is awesome - even better than I had imagined. I could totally live there though :-)
Oh and the "beads" I got at a restaurant in Palo Alto, CA (of all places!) where we had gone for a business dinner. They had them on the table for everyone to wear and take home -- no sure why. May be it was in Feb.
Ooh, more great meals! Do you live in New Orleans? I've always wanted to visit...
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear how it turned out!
Okay I'm going to have to try to make that particular recipe. Right now I'm enjoying whole wheat beer bread. Yup still doing the gluten thing.
ReplyDeleteQ臺妹-真人摳逼裸聊
ReplyDelete國外免費開放裸聊室
免費進入裸聊室
免費夫妻視頻真人秀
免費進入主播裸聊室
裸聊直播間免費
免費同城交友裸聊室
免費進入裸聊直播間
美女主播免費祼聊聊天室
真人在線裸聊網