Monday, February 20, 2012

All Clear

I went to the GI today to go over my test results and close out my abdominal pain issue. This time I actually saw the doctor.

He is a great guy. He is practical and blunt and does not sugar-coat stuff, but has a genial manner which makes it a good experience.

Basically he said that the location of the pain, right between my two robotic surgery incisions definitely points to scar tissue. There are no problems in my GI tract based on blood, biopsy and colonoscopy results.

Interestingly if you recall I always thought it was a muscle/scar thing, until that Dr at the weekend clinic in Dec freaked me out and sent me to the ER with possible appendicitis.

He did say it could be endometriosis which I know I do not have because it was thoroughly checked out during fibroid surgery.  He then said he was not sure about the "lady parts" (too funny!) but he did have the all clear U/S results from my OB/GYN who is the one who did the actual surgery as well.

Nevertheless, he poked me on my incision and I yelped and he said that it appeared to be superficial so between the skin/muscle and peri-something or other, which he explained to me by asking if I had seen a turkey. When I said yes, he said when you look inside a turkey you will see a shiny thing it is the per-whatever. He does not believe the scar tissue is very deep.

Given its superficiality, he did not expect it to be an issue during pregnancy, but I will mention it to my RE.

I told him about my recent reflux and that I have been very stressed since Dec. I gave him my 5 year old endoscopy results which he said was fine and I did not need to do another one. He said to continue to take Nexium until I start treatment at which time the RE can advise me what I can/cannot take.

He did ask me what I was stressed about. So, I told him that this whole colonscopy thing had me freaked out wondering how it would impact my IVF, having to postpone my Jan/Feb cycle, work stress and then general anxiety about the upcoming IVF cycle itself.

So, he sits back and very sweetly gives me this "talk" that I need to not worry because stress will make it worse and I need to enjoy my life and not worry about the "two days in the month when I ovulate". Too funny!

Next appt. is 6 mos. Hopefully I will be pregnant by then with a nice belly to boot!

On another note, the RE's office emailed me and said that I needed to sign one more paper and asked for my bloodwork results (again!). I sent all that back in Dec, but she probably did not bother to look at it. It seems that they only get fully engaged with a patient once they are ready to cycle.

7 comments:

  1. Oh phew - I am so glad that you have figured out what this is, and that it is a superficial issue (at least as far as IF is concerned). Hope this helps your stress levels...you have enough on your plate without this stressing you out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez you have been through so many medical things lately! At least the news has been on the positive side, and is at least manageable. And yes, my fingers are crossed for you to have that big fat belly before your next appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS funny, He is clearly not a psychologist. :-) Glad it sound superficial and will not interfere with pregnancy, though I'm sorry it's causing you discomfort. Could they fix it at some point down the road?

    I'm excited for you that you're moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This must be a huge relief to you! I'm so glad that it's nothing serious. Hopefully this will reduce the stress you've been feeling and you can follow your doctors orders. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad its not anything really serious that could mess with your infertility treatments. Good luck on your upcoming cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that nothing too serious is wrong - must be a huge relief!

    ReplyDelete