Friday, February 17, 2012

Just Chillin'

I am spending Friday night just relaxing and unwinding in my cozy home. It was a nice quiet day and I did manage to squeeze in a walk and run a load of laundry in the evening. Still have to fold it though!

I cooked dinner again tonight, that is 4 nights in a row not to mention the additional soup I made on Tue. I think I am done for the week :-)

Tonight the grocery store had an abundance of wild sockeye salmon. Its rare to find it this early in the year. They usually only get it once a year in summer. Coincidentally, I was in the mood for salmon but I did not feel like driving to the F.resh Ma.rket which always has it in stock but super pricey at about $19.99 a lb. Anyways it was cheaper at the local grocery store at $9.99 a lb so I bought some to eat tonight and froze a second fillet. I try to avoid the farm raised salmon, and only have had it once at the persuasion of the friendly guy behind the counter.

So, tonight I made salmon, wild rice and an apple/fennel salad with shallot vinaigrette. It came out pretty good.

I used my mandolin for the first time since I needed thinly sliced apple and fennel. I was terrified that I would slice my finger, but I did not since the device had a thing to hold the veggie and protect the hand. However, I think I was doing it wrong since I had a very messy counter by the end of it with lots of apple and fennel flying about. I am a very messy cook in case you have not figured that by now.

I was super tempted at the store to pick up random things since, as usual, I was shopping on an empty stomach.  Everything looked good, especially at the bakery. I stood and mulled over whether I should pick up a fruit tart or an eclair, but decided against either. Guess its grapes for dessert.

Now that my grunt work on expenses is done, I have some time tomorrow to get caught up on other pending tasks.  I want to put some of my prints from my travels into the frames I had purchased around Christmas. Once the pictures are in the frames, I will cut out the sizes on brown paper and play around with where and how I would like to hang them up.  I have six b/w sketches I bought in Quebec City, so I want them all on one wall for a dramatic effect.

I guess I should not procrastinate any longer since the pile of laundry is calling my name

5 comments:

  1. Mandolines scare me too. I have found that you can buy a kevlar glove as well. I always thought this would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've just made me soooo hungry - but I am just getting ready to go out to dinner. Hope your pics turn out well in the frames too! It's so nice to get all domestic, and feel satisfied with all that you've accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire all your healthy, yummy cooking! Hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a nice evening...I'm pretty impressed with your cooking. I'm too lazy when cooking for myself to make anything much. Enjoy the long weekend...

    ReplyDelete