Talk about the WORST timing ever!
The rumors are rife that there will be around of layoffs in about 4 weeks and my position is on the chopping block!
Needless to say I am really upset :-(
I had hinted about my potential job loss in an earlier post. Its been on my mind for a few months since they reduced our roles drastically, and it was just a matter of time. But I was really hoping (praying) that something would change and if it did happen, it would be after my maternity leave, preferably in Jun/Jul, by which time I would have had time to recover and get used to life with baby.
The timing is awful since I literally have 20+ days to go before Beanie arrives.
So last night instead of trying to think of baby names and get exited about my portrait session tomorrow, I was googling hea.lth ins.urance plans since that is my biggest concern.
Thankfully since its already Mar 1, even if they were to do the layoffs in 3 weeks I would still be covered for my surgery/hospitalization later this month. I will be able to get COBRA benefits but when I called today I was shocked that adding Beanie and getting on COBRA is more than my mont.hly mo.rtgage payment.
My head is spinning right now trying to come up with some plan so that I am not at a loss when it happens.
So, far my plan is that for the month of April to just bite the bullet and take COBRA coverage. I have already met my deductible for this year which is a good thing. Also, I would barely be back from the hospital and just getting my bearings and don't want to have to fuss with changing anything in those early days.
Last night and today I have researched and found a couple of private plans that have lower deduc.tibles which might work for us, after a month on CO.BRA. I don't know how healthy Beanie will be so I don't want a 10K dedu.ctible plan which would be super cheap premium-wise. So the premiums are higher, but way less than CO.BRA.
I should qualify for unem.ployment, so I have that paperwork bookmarked as well. I don't expect any severance pay, but I do have some PTO saved up so they should pay that out and will be some welcome cash.
Again just trying to get the groundwork done so when I am in pain and sleep deprived I don't have to think too much.
But, as I said, it sucks......there goes the dream of enjoying my maternity leave with the security of a job to return to.
So after a bit of a emotional meltdown today, I have decided to just let it be and focus on myself, Beanie and getting things ready for her in the next few weeks.
There is nothing I can do about the situation.
BTW -- I have no idea what these links are that are showing up. If anyone knows how to get rid of them please let me know.
It's still just a rumour. I admire your ability to stay organized and ahead of the game. Fingers crossed that the layoffs don't happen.
ReplyDeleteIt's great to be proactive. I hope that it's just a rumour.
ReplyDeleteI hope for you and Beanie this is just a rumor. But I'm so sorry you even have to worry about it. Try to enjoy your photo shoot today, you deserve it!!
ReplyDeleteI can tell you NO company wants to layoff a pregnant lady or new mother- they are always legally advised NEVER to do this an generally get sued when doing so. Even when my company has layed off an entire department we've kept pregnant ladies or given them a generous servance package with health insurance.
ReplyDeleteDo you mind telling which state you live In and how large you company is ? Right are different with small companies and some states.
Think positive and good luck.
Also if your unemployed - most states will cover the baby on Medicare ( generally a good HMO) all hospitals take it and many Peds take it too - don't buy expensive cobra for the baby.
ReplyDeleteAt least check it out - this is why you've paid taxes- use the benefits!!!
My co is under 50 employees which is why it can get away with a lot of stuff.
DeleteAnd thanks, yes, I have considered that if I am on unemployment I could put the baby under our GA State plan, which is not MediCaid, but something similar for low income. I think with only unemployment beneifits I should qualify, so definitely thinking that to be an option rather than COBRA. And if she can be on it, I can buy my own pvt insurance, it would work. I will call the State Insurance people next week and find out more.
Thanks you!
I'm sorry you are going through job uncertainty instead of enjoying your last few weeks of pregnancy. Hopefully, they are just rumours. And good for you for being proactive and well organized. Try to stay positive.
ReplyDeleteUgh! I am so sorry!! I can only imagine! My work went thru layoffs while I was on mat leave & I would jump every time the phone rang. Oh I hope it works out ok for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about this, the timing is awful, I'm hoping it's just a rumor. I'm glad you are going to try to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, like you said, there's not much you can do. Hope you are enjoying your photo shoot today :)
ReplyDeleteDo what you can do, but try not to stress too much. I hope it doesn't come down to job loss right now.
ReplyDeleteCOBRA is such a rip-off. It's criminal how much they can charge for it.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you have to deal with these worries right now. Perhaps they won't cut your position, but at least you are prepared if they do.
I am so sorry you are having to deal with this right now! I hope all this "preperation" is for nothing!
ReplyDelete