Thanks for your supportive comments, ladies.
Beanie's blood results were a tad better today, so they did not readmit since she is now below the high risk cutoff, but in the High/Intermediary level instead.
They want me to continue the 2-3 hour feeds with formula and have her "poop" it out so to speak. Its tough on her little bottom for sure.
We have our first pediatrician visit tomorrow morning so he will re-test and we will take it from there.
Ironically my milk has come in and after missing a couple of feeds I actually "leaked" today. I have not figured out the pump yet although it is washed and ready to use, so I am having Beanie do some nursing about15-20 min on each side every 4-5 hours in addition to her formula. It will keep things moving along.
In other stuff, its so hard being dependant on others given my nature and being used to taking care of myself. My parents have been phenomenal and my Mom a trooper but its difficult to have them do things for me. I cannot drive for one and I cannot walk a lot either, so cannot go to the store. I feel rather helpless :-(
For example, my Mom bough formula yesterday but forgot the nipples. So, now given its Easter we cannot find them in the handful of stores that are open and are scrambling figuring out how to feed Beanie :-(
Can't wait to be able to drive and be back in control.
Update -- I called Similac and turns out the one nipple in the pack of 8 bottles is REUSABLE. Yay! So we will do that and I will order disposable ones for the diaper bag from Amazon.
Good tip, Shannon. I should stop procrastonating and get on the pumping so all the effort so far does not go waste. Will try it and let you all know how it goes.
If it's at all possible, now that your milk is coming in, try to pump. It seems intimidating, but it'll only take you one try to get the hang of it. It's much easier to get your supply up when your milk first comes in than if you try to get it back up later once you're able to cut down on formula. If it's possible for you to pump every 3 hours or so (in addition to her nursing) it may save you a bunch of heart ache later.
ReplyDeleteBut if it's just too overwhelming, and especially if you think you'll not stress out too much if you have to continue to supplement with formula, then I wouldn't worry about trying to pump. Your primary goal right now is to make things as easy as possible (though pumping is really easy - it's just time consuming).
Oh, and how could I forget the MOST important thing? I'm so glad she didn't have to get admitted, and you get to stay at home! Good news that she's doing better.
ReplyDeleteGlad she is doing better. Must be tough being o reliant on others, but wonderful your parents are so supportive!
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear Beanie is doing better. I can understand not liking to have to rely on others but see it as an opportunity to recuperate faster and better.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad she's heading in the right direction. Accept the help for what it is, love for you and Beanie, that might make it easier.
ReplyDeleteIs it possible to beg some nipples from the hospital?
Glad she's doing better. I hope she keeps improving - I'm sure she will. Take care and accept all the help you can right now.
ReplyDeleteMy son did light therapy at home (it wrapped around his body and he had to be within a 5 foot radius of an electrical outlet at all times) for the first five days after we were released from the hospital. It was a pain in the butt, but a visiting nurse would come over to our house everyday to test his bili levels. In the long run, it ended up being a good thing. I didn't have much help that week (after a c-section) and it was nice to have the nurse visit and answer some of my questions, since I couldn't go anywhere. Good luck, I hope Beanie's levels return to normal soon.
ReplyDeleteSo glad she didn't need to be readmitted!! Good job, Momma!! & smart thinking about calling Similac, I doubt I'd thought of that in your place!! Hope things continue to get better & better!
ReplyDeleteGreat update! I'm glad she is doing better and with you. I understand the frustration about not being totally independent now but you are very fortunate to have such great parents. Enjoy it! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you kept from being readmitted! I wound up exclusively pumping after being on the bili blanket for 4 days. The pump is intimidating at first, but it because very routine in a matter of 2 or 3 tries. And I hear you on the lack of independence post C section. I felt the same way. I would've never made it without my mom. Glad she's there to help and you all on your road to recovery.
ReplyDeleteHoping you'll be able to freeze some breast milk soon.
ReplyDeleteYah! So happy to hear that she's on the mend. :)
ReplyDelete