Friday, March 22, 2013

A Thanks and some Odds and Ends

Thanks for the wonderful supportive comments on yesterday's post.   I really enjoyed reading them after a not so pleasant evening.

My parents had called me over for dinner and it so happened that my sis was alone too so they invited her as well. My Mom called and warned me since she knows that I am generally pissed off at my sister's indifference towards the baby and my pregnancy.

I decided I would still go over (why miss a good meal) and not say much to my sis - BIG mistake!

As always she monopolized the entire evening going on about her life, her kids, her stuff.  It is amazing to me how self-absorbed a human being can be. 

She did not even once ask me how I was, am I excited about having Beanie in a few days, am I prepared, how long is my leave, etc.  You know NORMAL questions one would ask anyone a week away from delivery, leave alone your only sister.

She knows the date since she apparently asked my Mom and she did make it a point to say that on my due date she will be busy with her mornings meeting and then has some other appointments during the day and a dinner with someone.  Why the hell she needs to say all that who knows, since I am not counting on her coming to the hospital anyway.  Then later next week she is going out of town with her hubby and she asked my Dad to take care of her dog/cat.

I told my parents afterwards that for the next few weeks they need to prioritize ME and not her dog/cat or grown up kids who keep coming home from college every few days and are incapable of taking care of themselves. My Mom agreed and said if needed, my sis can ask the neighbours to feed the dog while they are out since my parents need to focus on my hospital stay.

She never once asks my Mom or Dad how their day went, or what they did either. For my Mom's retirement party she came hours late after everyone had eaten, with some silly excuse.  Its always all about her!   And she makes stupid comments such as "oh I cannot be around babies", or things like that not directly addressed to me but hints about how she is so not into babies.  Its not like I am expecting her to babysit Beanie.

I did not interact much with her directly, but her incessant talking about her own life irritated me to high heaven and I was really pissed off by the time I came home. I just need to stay away from her and I was stupid to have gone over there knowing she would be present.  The good news is that once Beanie arrives I will hardly be going any place, so will not be meeting her anyways.

Thank goodness for you lovely ladies. I read your comments after I came home and it made me feel so much better.

I need to focus on the 99.9% of people in my life who are happy and supportive.

*********************************

Today I plan to spend the morning doing more prep work. Decided to wash a few additional items, including the breast pump parts and bottle drying rack etc. Also my Mom will be by and I will show her how to work my dishwasher and clothes dryer since she will need to run it while I am recovering.

In the afternoon I have booked a massage. So I am trying to do one fun activity each day.

Yesterday I went with my Mom to I.HOP and later to pick up my maternity pictures. They came out really nice. I even got one of me and my Mom. It was funny because neither of us had planned it and the photographer suddenly asked if my Mom wanted to be in the pictures. So we said sure if there is no charge and she took a few. I have to say even though my Mom was in no way prepared to take formal pictures (eg make up, etc), she looked great and we got some lovely pics.

In and on a completely unrelated note...

We were at Wal.Mart on Wed evening looking for nursing bras. We did not find any but I did but some front open bras in different sizes. Anyway we saw one of those Dr Sch.olls foot kiosks where they look at your foot to see if you have issues.  Both my Mom and I tried it.   I was curious since I know that for the past month due to the pregnancy weight my heels/bottom of feet have been aching and I wanted to see what the machine would say. Well, sure enough the machine caught it and said while my arches were fine, the pressure was off in my feet due to weight distribution.  Pretty cool - huh!   So those things actually work.

5 comments:

  1. Your sister sounds like a real treat. :\ I'm glad that your parents are going to back you up and focus on you and Beanie right now, rather than on your sister's trivial issues.

    Love the idea of treating yourself to one fun activity a day. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sister sounds exactly like my Brother & SIL! It's so infuriating dealing with people like this. Tho they were very supportive & excited while I was pregnant...they have since only made time to see & be around Elena at holidays & family gatherings & then complain when Elena plays shy & accuses me of coddling her too much!!

    Enjoy your "last" days, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a special guest speaker at our meeting last weekend and she said something that stuck with me. "You have to sift out the negativity in your life." Sounds like your sister cannot deal with others being the center of attention. Enjoy this last week and remember you've got a whole bunch of us in the blogosphere who are rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sister and my brother are cut from the same cloth. I feel for you. Hoping she doesn't create any fuss while you are recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never understand how sisters can be like that.

    I love that your mom was in some of the pictures. I never thought of that and I think it's going to be a wonderful thing for Beanie to have.

    ReplyDelete