Saturday, March 16, 2013

Time Off

Yesterday was my last day at work.

I am now on maternity leave for the next seven weeks.

Initially I was supposed to have Beanie mid-next week, hence wanted to start leave on Monday.  Later when it got pushed out to the week after next, I decided to still take the week off to just unwind and take it easy.  I am looking forward to it since I have not had a break in over a year!

Yesterday was super busy with people suddenly freaking out that I will be gone for an extended period. I could not help but think as the day came to a close around 7pm that it may indeed be my "last day" at work with this company, given the impending layoff.  Still hoping that the decision is made in April so I get one more month of company paid health insurance.

I am however in a much better head space about all this. After all there is not much I can do, so right now I plan to forget about work, and focus 100% on Beanie in these last few days of pregnancy.

Luckily with all that frenzied activity since the beginning of the year, I really do not have anything major tasks pending in terms of preparing for baby.  I feel quite prepared logistically for the most part.  I just need to do small things, eg, move the changing table in my room to a different location, bring the bassinet in, put in the bedding, etc. 

I could potentially move my office into the guest room and "complete" the nursery, so may think about doing that, but other than a few bits and pieces, such as stocking up on basics (Kleenex, toilet paper etc), and packing  my bag for the hospital, I do not have a whole lot to do which is nice.

Maybe now is good time to go through the baby book and see what I can fill in.

Yesterday was also my Mom's last day at work. She is retiring. It was her plan to do so in the summer but she decided to bring it forward a bit because of me. I think she too is looking forward to having time off and being able to focus on Beanie. I am so grateful for that help.

Tonight is her retirement party, hosted by her boss. It should be fun.

The weather is going to be really nice this weekend - finally a bit warm - so that is something to look forward to as well.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! It's time and you will be "meeting" Beanie soon. Relax and rest as much as you can during this exciting time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time!! I loved having this week off. I painted pottery, had lunch with the girls, watched Netflix, it was great! I hope you have the same wonderful, stress free week before Beanie arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the timing is perfect with your mom retiring too. Enjoy the week off and get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you. Enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yah! Enjoy these quiet moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect timing of your mom retiring! I'm so glad you have this week off to enjoy, relax and finish the last few things for Beanie's arrival. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping you don't get laid-off. Have fun with getting the nursery ready.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the next few days!! I can't believe you don't get 8 weeks post c/s ..... That is pretty norm in NYC and I doubt you'll get laid off until after maternity leave. Even at a small company they shouldn't be that ballsy and I hope your company stays strong and there are no lay offs and you have a peaceful maternity leave and enjoy the baby!!

    Wishing you a wonderful delivery and recovery

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy relaxing and doing those last finishing touches to prepare for Beanie's arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good you're taking this time to rest before Beanie arrives! So close now! You must be so excited to meet your daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete