Monday, April 1, 2013

First Pediatrician Visit

Today was Beanie's first pediatrician visit.

We both got nicely dressed up. I picked a cute outfit for her and wore make-up myself so I looked presentable. We also actually got dressed and ready on time. Its amazing how different things are with a baby in tow.

The visit went well. Beanie is now 7lbs and neraly back to her birth weight and 20 inches long. She was 19 3/4 at birth.  We updated him on the bilirubin results. He wanted to do another blood test which I expected, however because of my insurance they could not do it at their office so I had to go to the hospital :-(

While at the peds, Beanie needed a diaper change and later we gave her a bottle. Just as well since the process at the hospital was cumbersome.

Poor baby was poked again. She had also soaked her diaper yet again and we ended up having to change her diaper and clothes in the lab. They were really sweet and accommodating to us. 

It was a rough morning for all since we had not anticipated the hospital lab visit.  Moreover, in my haste to leave home I did not take my pain med so wandering around walking with no pain meds was not fun.  My feet have been swelling up since the surgery due to the IV fluids and body trying to rid of pregnancy fluids, so by the time I came home they were massive :-(

I felt most bad for Beanie since ever since we came back home she has been dragged from one place to another for tests.

The good news however is the Beanie's level dropped by 3 pts so while it is still moderate risk, its now the second day of decline and the ped is comfortable that its resolving himself.  He does not need another blood draw, but depending on how Beanie is doing I may ask for another one in a few days just to bring closure to it. We shall see. I could see an improvement in her skin color today.

As I write this post, she is in her bassinet, stripped to her diaper in a bright room (no direct sunlight on her). I read that just being in a bright room can help.

Tomorrow is the first day since we got home from the hospital that we all get to STAY HOME with no appts and just chill. No rushing around in the morning, no sticking her in a car seat!

I am really looking forward to it!!

11 comments:

  1. So glad she's continuing to improve. Enjoy your appointment-free day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the indirect light will help her out. In Finland, it's customary to out children outside to nap (when older). Something about the fresh air helping them sleep. Good to hear she's home with you and that you were able to have a day with no pokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your day! So glad she is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like quite a pain in the you know what to have to traipse around everywhere like that. So glad you'll have a day of rest and that her numbers are coming down. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news that she's doing well! And I'm very glad you have some days of rest coming up - you both need it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful that her numbers are improving, I hope the trend continues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad her numbers continue to improve!! You're doing good, momma!! Enjoy your day of rest, that first one is glorious. Thanks for the update! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy a day at home. Glad her levels are doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad she is continuing to improve! Enjoy your day home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I cannot believe I missed the birth announcement! So sorry, Sunflower, but I am sooo happy for you! Believe me I know about that swelling - I had it all over my body, feet, legs, back, head, EVERYWHERE. It was just awful and it took about 2 weeks to subside...doesn't help having that while you're trying to recover from surgery. But the important thing is that your little Beanie is doing great and she's finally here! Take good care of yourself and the little one, and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad her levels are dropping. Dealing with jaundice is the pits! I hated repeatedly watching my baby endure blood draws.

    ReplyDelete