Sunday, June 24, 2012

Weekend Wrap-up

Its been a busy weekend.

On Friday I called the old yard guy and politely told him not to come any longer and send his bill. One of my peeves with him was his not returning my calls, right? Well, wouldn't you know it within 30 min of my leaving the message, he was calling me back. Well, I immaturely did not pick up and he did not leave a voicemail. I guess he will call this week and I will let him know that its not the quality of his work, but the schedule that does not work for me.

That evening my parents came over for dinner and a movie. Originally the plan was pizza, but I had made a yummy ham and shrimp paella the night before and I had a ton left over. So I prepared a nice salad and we had that with the paella. We sat in the front porch and had some wine/lemonade and it was raining so it was very pleasant. I have been using my front porch a lot since the magnolia got cut down. There are no bugs there, as compared to the back patio where I get bitten by mosquitoes.

Yesterday was a super relaxed day - starting with an nice yoga class followed by a massage. I had my massage therapist use essential oils for "aches and pains" since I was a bit achy this week - poor posture using the laptop. Later went for dinner to my parents and got to hang with my sis and niece.

Today I had nothing concrete planned so after a lazy start to the day I headed out to run some errands including buying two tiki lamps for my back patio and some potting soil.

People are so friendly in garden stores.

My tomato plant contracted some disease and died, so I was asking the guy at HD about it. Some older guy (customer) overheard and started asking about its symptoms and giving me suggestions. Then a young guy passing by heard the conversation and joined in too. In fact he immediately recognized the disease as "flower rot". So, anyway turns out the older guy is opening a home style restaurant in the neighborhood so that was interesting to know about. After he moved away the young guy and I chatted for about 10-15 minutes about plants and things.  It was pleasant.

I then went for a solitary picnic to a local nature preserve.

I picked up a turkey sandwich from a new sandwich place my Mom recommended and a chilled bottle of water and went to the picnic area. My plan was to hike a bit inland to the creek and find a spot to lay my towel and eat my lunch.  But it was actually very lonely near the creek and hiking trail and I did not feel comfortable hanging out there, so I headed back towards the "pond" where there are picnic tables set and there were some young kids fishing and a couple enjoying their lunch.

I plonked myself on a table overlooking the pond ate my sandwich, read a book and later ate a plum I had brought from home. The sandwich was on white bread, so I did not enjoy it much since I don't eat white bread, plus they forgot the avocado - guess I will not be going there again!

When I came home I decided to walk my bike to the bike shop about 1/4 mile away since the tires were flat. So I dragged the bike over and they filled it with air and I sat around for about 15 min to see if it held the air which it did.

Then I walked it back home (a) because I have not ridden a bike in years and did not think this was the best time to hop on it in front of a bunch of people (b) I did not have my helmet which I think is required by law here. So, anyway as I was walking back home I hear someone say "excuse me, ma'am".  An older guy was in his pickup truck across the street and asked me if my bike was broken and if I needed a ride. So sweet. I thanked him and said the bike was fine but I did not want to ride it back. He then asked if I had a phone and water (it was 93 degrees), and I said yes and assured him my home was about 5 min away. I just thought that was really nice of him.

Later this evening I shall put my new tomato plant into a pot and set up my tiki lamps. And then grocery store for weekly shopping and figure out dinner. 

I have a craving for chicken tenders with green beans and grape tomatoes in a rosemary balsamic glaze.  I had a Lean Cuisine meal like that and I think I can replicate it myself.

Its been a very busy weekend as usual. Hope you all are having a good one :-)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice weekend with some nice people in it! :) I love how you hang out with your parents - I think that's kind of unique and cool that they are your actual good friends in day to day life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warm air and sunshine. I miss that.
    You are making me so hungry with what you have been cooking. Yesterday I made a quick dish using bulgar, vegetable stock, peas, onions, bacon and sausage links (J had grilled them a few days before). Very tasty dish but I'm sure it was way too high in sodium even with using a low sodium stock.

    ReplyDelete