Tree guy has been fired...
....and new tree guy hired with the caveat that he helps me with the pricing given he is 2.5x more expensive. He said he may come out on Friday since they are doing a big job close by my house, and my job is technically small.
I also have a small Japanese coral bark maple planted outside the house right next to my picture window near the stairs. That needs major pruning too since its getting big and tall.
Today as I was going up the stairs I chanced to look out the window and noticed a pair of beady eyes staring back at me through the foliage. Turns out a Cardinal couple have built a nest there (sigh!) and the female was happily sitting in the nest, on eggs presumably.
Darn it...there goes my plans to heavily prune it.
Anyway after breakfast I went out and pruned some of the lower branches and thinned it out a bit and also took stock of where the nest was located so I can make sure they prune around it gently without leaving it too open to elements. It may look odd to have a few branches sticking out but I could cut those myself after the birds are done. I had seen that nest in winter when the leaves were bare.
Last year I had sparrows raise six chicks in the awning on my front porch. Guess everything around me is fertile, including my plants, except me :-(
Well, dinner came out exceptionally good last night. I decided to thinly slice the zucchini and put it in the foil, laid the fish on top, sliced some onions, added some sprigs of fresh dill and lemon, with a bit of olive oil and chardonnay, made it all into a packet and baked it. It was really good!
Work has been quiet so I have also been able to catch up on tons of junk mail and tonight need to do the bills. The house is looking a bit messy with stuff all over, so needs some tidying up.
Dinner tonight: Home made chicken fried rice with veggies, using left over rotisserie chicken. I cooked some rice yesterday so its a day old which works best when stir frying. Unlike classic recipies which use minimal veggies, I will add celery, carrots, peas and zuchinni to make it more hearty and get my fiber.
Hope you all are having a good week.
Updated: A thought struck me -- I hope there is no bird nest in the magnolia tree since that one is coming down for sure. Ugh! Well, I guess too bad if there is one. I mean, its bad enough living my life around my own fertility (or lack thereof), than to now have sleepless nights about bird fertility :-(
I'm glad I'm not the only one affected by bird fertility. The other day I watched a robin hopping around my yard with its baby and I started crying. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the tree cutting/pruning.
I might have to stop reading your blog (just kidding!) - I'm always starving after reading about all of your delicious creations! Ha!
ReplyDeleteYes, all those birdies are hatching chickees everywhere! We had a family of little birds (I think tits of some kind) roosting under our eaves and they had a few little ones. And our groundhogs have also given birth to a brood. Maybe these are good signs for you as well...it's the fertile season!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the tree guy. I think the most frustrating thing is life is dealing with contractors of various sorts! Drives me nuts. Good luck with pruning around the birds nest!
The birds will always relocate if the nest is disturbed. You on the other hand can't relocate as easily if the trees damage your home.
ReplyDeleteI told my folks it was too late to chase away the robins that are nesting in the eaves. If they build a nest and don't get to lay eggs they may become egg bound. At least with Robins they are fast about nesting young. Take a look, what are the chances there are 2 bird families?
ReplyDelete