Monday, June 25, 2012

Protecting my chicks

Last night Blackie, my neighbours cat climbed up the small maple to get to the two baby chicks whom I consider my surro-babies.

Here it how it went down, but some background first.

Blackie is my next door neighbours cat who is an inside/outside cat and has been terrorizing all fauna in the neighbourhood for some years. No living creature - furry or feathered - is safe around Blackie.  She once killed a baby rabbit I had named Bugs, and about a month ago had caught the chipmunk that lives in my backyard in her mouth. She kills for sport not to eat - and despite my being a lover of animals this is one cat whom I absolutely abhor!

Another neighbour had complained to the owners several months back. The owners tried putting an invisible fence but despite having a good charge, Blackie powered through it and got out. So, now they take her everyday to the lady's ex-husband's house and bring her back only at night.

I have been worried about Blackie and the birds for a while now.

Last evening I was having a late dinner around 8pm outside on my front porch and I saw Blackie sitting in the neighbours porch. The bird parents idiotically started making a distressed noise and she noticed them because just as I was entering the house I saw her sitting upright in their porch staring at my porch with her yellow glittering eyes.

I went in and then came out 10 min later to throw the garbage. And there was pandemonium.

The father bird was hopping in the middle of my driveway, exposed to all and sundry. The female was chirping in a frantic manner and I saw the horrible black cat in the middle of the tree, inches from the babies.

I yelled at her and she jumped off and ran into the neighbour front lawn. Just then a hawk swooped down on the cat, sadly it did not get her. Wish it had!!!  Wonder if it was trying to help the Cardinal's?

So the neighbor came out since she heard me yelling and I told her what her cat was doing. I was fuming at that point. She had her son take the cat inside hoping it will get distracted and apologized.

I came back indoors and then the doorbell rings and its her husband. He wanted to know where the nest was and was hugely apologetic but basically said that when they let her out later she may come back and get to it eventually today or some other day.  They are a really lovely family and I know they feel bad for their awful cat's behaviour. I know cats hunt by instinct, but I just wish they would keep her inside.

I was so upset. After he left, I burst into tears. I was feeling so sad for the babies and more so for the parents, particularly the mother bird. Anyways I did some googling and looked at natural cat repellents.

So I sprayed a foul smelling animal repellent the base of the tree. Then I threw some citrus rinds around the tree and hung them on the lower branches. Apparently cats don't like citrus. I threw some hot peppers around as well as a bunch of lavender - again a strong scent.

Today I will go to the pet store and see if they can suggest something.  I have also asked my niece to bring their dog over this evening so he can sit around the yard and pee in a few places to leave his scent around the tree area.

I just wish I could time the visit, so that evil Blackie can actually see him and hear him bark.   I detest that cat!

Updated:
I went to the petstore and bought a cat repellant spray. It needs to be sprayed daily but I can do that. Also bought a bunch of aluminum foil in which to wrap the tree branches up to a point where she cannot jump over. Its a small tree and the limbs are very easy to get to.

6 comments:

  1. I love cats but not one that hunts just for sport. There is no reason why that particular cat can't be kept inside. I had a large maine coon cat that I kept inside until I moved and my mom decided to, "let the cat out", need less to say I no longer have that cat as he disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're making the effort for the birds. The cat can go find mice if it wants to hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cats, too, but I know the damage they do to native bird populations. A responsible owner would keep the cat inside or confine it to a cat run. Infuriating! I hope you can keep the babies safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a good person protecting those babies. I don't understand why thy can't just keep that cat inside or keep it on a leash...yes, I know cats don't like leashes but too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just want to say thank you so much for your comment on my blog. I appreciate it VERY MUCH! xo

    ReplyDelete