Another great day today.
I had been planning Father's Day since last Oct when I first went to the WWII aviation themed restaurant. I loved it and knew he would too.
So, today I picked Dad up at 11:30am and we drove about an hour to where the restaurant is located. I did not tell him anything and I know he was very curious. Just as we were turning in I disclosed it to him. The driveway is tree-lined with old WWII jeeps and trucks strategically placed and there is a fighter airplane right in front of the restaurant entrance and its located by a local airport.
We took some pictures and got a nice table with a view of the runway, so my Dad enjoyed watching the planes and we chatted about his aviation days. He was not in WWII, of course, but still he enjoyed the whole ambiance.
The food buffet was wonderful and we had smoked salmon, shrimp, eggs Benedict (I had two!), sausages/bacon, BBQ chicken, the list goes on. There was a carving station and about 25 desserts. We ate leisurely and drank mimosas.
After lunch we went outside to see the bi-plane which does tours of the city. Lots of people were taking trips on it. We were able to see it come and go while we ate.
I gave my Dad his card and the DVD which he is looking forward to watching. I dropped him back around 3pm.
After a nice long nap, I went for a 2 mile walk to burn off some calories. Then at 7:30pm my Dad came over and we watched two episodes of the DVD show. As I expected, it reminded him a lot of his days in the armed forces as a young officer.
So, its been a really fun day with Dad. I know I will cherish these times with him always. He has been so supportive of my SMC journey that this is the least I can do for him!
Sounds like a GREAT Father's Day for your Dad! My Dad was an airplane junkie/history buff - he would have loved that restaurant - you're very lucky to still have your Dad with you.
ReplyDeleteOh sounds like you had a fun day.
ReplyDelete