Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Hatched

Short post to say the cardinal eggs hatched today.

I suspected something was up since I saw Mommy bird sitting on the edge of the nest looking in around early afternoon.

Later I saw Daddy bird fly in - this was a first since while he has been around the area I have never seen him near the nest. Apparently the female sits on the eggs and the male does the feeding - so cute.

Then around 6pm the nest was empty and I peered in from the window and could not see the eggs, instead saw something furry. I kept trying to see what body part it was and just then I see the baby rear it head and open its beak.

OMG - it was such an adorable a sight. My heart just melted!!  His head is all bald with just a bit of fuzz around it. I cannot see the other chick and they are too small to even make any sound.

Later I saw the Mom back in the nest, apparently sitting atop the baby.

I shall continue to monitor them. Its a bit hard to see through the foliage, so unfortunately cannot take a picture.

Its been a nice day.  I did about an hour of hard labour in my yard this afternoon after work  - pruning some out of control bushes, dragging stuff, and weeding, so I figured I could skip my daily walk.

My tomato plant got a disease and died :-(    I am not sure where or what type of tomato I had purchased last year but it did really well. This year was not good. I have a second tomato plant I bough so I shall see if that does any better.

My blueberry bush did well and I have got about 10-12 berries every day.  Its now winding down. I think it only has the one crop a season.

It temperature will be in the mid-90's this entire week so I have moved all my herbs to full shade. I don't think by "full sun" they mean blazing hot southeast sun!

5 comments:

  1. You are so much better than me. I need to prune bushes, etc. One of my "bushes" has reached nearly the top of the bedroom window. It needs to be trimmed. This fall we will pull it out and plant a tree which will hopefully not grow as large. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a nest of little birds (some kind of tit I think) in the eaves of our upstate house. We got to see Mommy and Daddy feeding the little guys all weekend. It was SOOOO cute! And cardinals are so beautiful...must have been amazing to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed an increase in bird song around my neighborhood in the past few weeks. Wish I lived closer to you, I have four organic heirloom tomato plants that I grew from seed. No home for them as of yet. I have one hanging in a basket upside down like I do most years and another in the front bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I love baby birds. We had a Robin nest visible from the house a couple years ago and everyone was in love. My dad actually got to see them leave the nest. I as jealous but happy for him.

    Sounds too warm for the herbs and me. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete