Today was my 10 week ultrasound. The one I insisted upon for my peace of mind.
All is well.
Baby is measuring ahead at 10w 4d, heart rate is 169 b/min and its about 3.xcm long now which is double of what it was at 8w2d.
Today it looked like a real baby and I could see its legs and arms and even fingers (vaguely). Its amazing how much its grown since 8/31, back then it was only limb buds, now its even got fingers!
Initially the technician wanted to do an abdominal ultrasound saying that since I was 10 weeks it would be easy to see. I was quite doubtful but I let her proceed, we saw nothing. Made me nervous, so I asked "do you see a heartbeat?", so she says "its moving around in there".
Cue relief!
I think part of my nervousness has been the intense phyisical activity the past few days of walking with my heavy laptop bag/purse thorough airports and all the pulling/pushing/bending etc to set up the booth.
We then heard the heartbeat which was fine.
She then decided to do the internal since the picture was not at all clear with the abdominal scan. So she went in and it was clear as a bell. I did not see the heart fluttering as earlier but we heard the heartbeat and I saw its hands etc.
I then went to see the doctor. This is a differnt one, but from the same practice. They made me wait for an hour, and finally she came.
I liked her. She is young but with a nice personality and knew her stuff. I told her about the HbA1c test snafu and she ordered it, as well as a prescription for Zofran for my trip in case I need it.
I asked her about CVS and genetic testing and she told me about a blood test called Harmony, which is different from Materniti21. She seemed really knowledgeable. She also told me that being in the South, people are ultra-conservative as such there are only 1-2 places where CVS is done, should I want to go down that path.
Never though about all that political stuff.
Anyways she gave me some leads and after I cam home I found a place next to my RE's office that does CVS routinely. So, I have that in my back pocket.
I also mentioned to her that I was a patient of my GYN - Dr K. She said that Dr K was in the office and she would see if she can come by and say Hi! Then she came back saying Dr K was with patients but that she will tell her that I am pregnant.
Dr K was the first person I had gone to 4 years ago after my husband (now ex) and I had not been successful after trying naturally for 6 mos. So, she and I go back a long way. She also did my myomectomy and did such a fine job that other docs have commented on the clean incisions.
Anyway, just as I was checking out, who comes rushing out but Dr K.
She was so happy to see me and hugged me and I took the opportunity to rapid fire ask her a few questions. She too thinks that I should do NT scan first and the consider CVS as a back up, if needed.
She also gave me her email address (how cool is that!) and took mine to research and get back to me about the two blood tests. She is not doing maternity cases so she is a bit out of the loop for new genetic blood tests. I also asked her for a recommendation for an OB since I don't like the flaky one I met last week. The one I saw today, Dr D, only works out of the satellite office which is further from my house.
So, all in all it was a great visit. I will not have any more U/S at this point.
Next will be NT scan on Oct 1.
In other good news -- yesterday was my last Estrace pill.
YAY!!!
I am off all IVF meds at this point.
I am ambivalent about taking the Zofran. I know its totally safe but after taking so many drugs for so long, I don't want to to take anything unless its absolutely necessary.
I have put a call into our VP Sales to disclose my pregnancy and see if I can get out of the Seattle trip. I don't want to make any public announcement since its too early still but I need him to know what is going on and how it may impact my participation next week, e.g. having to keep leaving the all-day meetings to go puke, rest, eat periodically, etc.
Glad all is well with baby and you had a good doctor visit. I think disclosing to your VP is a good idea. I'm in the same boat and actually ended up telling my boss earlier this week for the same reason. I'm just not 100% and didn't want him thinking something weird was going on so I told him but swore him to secrecy. It actually was a big relief because now when I'm not feeling so hot I can just be honest with him.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that baby is doing so well. And it's really cool that your old doctor gave you her contact number. It must make you feel pretty good that you can reach out to her if you want. Continued best wishes!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great day!! So happy for you...my early prediction based on your stats: Girl ;)!
ReplyDeleteSo glad the ultrasound looked good! Isn't it amazing how different they look at this stage?
ReplyDeleteMy high risk OB is now doing the Maternit21 test on all her high risk patients - I haven't seen the Harmony test yet. I'm pretty sure if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant again, I'll do the Maternit21 -though now I want to go research this other test.
Glad your telling your work about the pregnancy, or at least your supervisor. I wish you didn't have to go but at least having understanding for taking care of yourself will be good.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the ultrasound!!! Wonderful!! So glad things are progressing so well for you (and that you're off the meds, that must feel great).