Ladies, I took your advice and got out of the Seattle trip - phew.
It is such a relief.
I feel a bit better today since I could sleep in, but yesterday I was so exhausted from the previous day's travel, plus waking up at the crack of dawn to go for the U/S appt that I was really not sure I could do it at all.
I left a VM for the VP Sales. He is not my current boss, but my ex-boss. However, since he is the host of the meeting I needed to talk with him. Plus I just feel more comfortable with him than my current boss.
He called me back in the evening and I explained the situation to him, basically saying that I could potentially haul myself to Seattle, but I could be in/out of the meetings based on how I felt. He has two young boys and remembered how sick his wife was during her first trimester, so he suggested I just do it remotely. He said that it may raise awkward questions as to why I kept leaving the meeting at all hours.
I did not argue :-)
He was really nice and appreciated that I entrusted him with the information.
I do feel guilty about not being there in person, since its a company meeting and everyone will be there except me, but it is what it is. It would have been stressful for me. Of course I was sick right after dinner last night and that pretty much removed the guilt.
Later, I called the Exec Asst to cancel my hotel booking. I told her I had a personal situation which precluded me from travelling. She asked me if all was well I said yes. Then she says "did you not just have a baby?".
I was taken aback for a minute.
I said No. Then she says "hmm...wonder why I thought you had a baby".
I could not lie so I said "well hopefully I will soon". So, she's like "oh....is that why....?"
So, I had to tell her too!
She immediately said " gosh, there is no way you can be stuck in a room full of people for 9 hours". She promised to keep mum. I told her that since its still very early I don't want it to be common knowledge just yet, maybe in 4-5 weeks.
The story for the rest of the attendees will be that I had a personal situation that I needed to handle.
I do think however that I should tell my boss though on Monday, so he does not feel that I purposely left him out - sigh! Not looking forward to that conversation.
But it will be a weight off my mind for sure. I was reading an article about how stressful disclosing a pregnancy is and I agree. Frankly, if it was not for all these trips I would not have said anything for a long time.
The next set of business trips are mid-end Oct so I should be okay for those, plus they are Boston and Chicago so shorter flights.
I know it sucks having to discuss personal matters at work, particularly when it means not participating in some aspect of what is normally expected of you. But you are really doing the right thing here. It's not going to do them any good having you be operating at 50%, and your priority right now has got to be taking care of yourself and your little one. You've worked too hard for this not to put that at #1. Happy for you that you'll be able to take it easy for a while...rest up and hope the nausea subsides soon!
ReplyDeleteAll that work stuff sounds like it was putting extra anguish on you at a time when you just need to focus on yourself. I'm glad you were able to build the courage to tell a couple of people at work to help ease this stress. Hopefully once you "confess" to your boss on Monday, then you'll feel that it's one less thing to worry about and you won't have to hide your illness as carefully. It's great that your other boss was so understanding of your situation! Good luck with the next announcement :-)
ReplyDeleteEx-boss sounds like a decent guy. Don't feel guilty at all for getting out of the meeting. It sounds like you make up for it most days anyway.
ReplyDeleteGlad you told. It will make things easier for sure. And yeah, I would def tell your boss now that it's out there. You wouldn't want him to find out second hand.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you were able to cancel that particular trip and just be their remotely.
ReplyDelete