This is a vent post about how nosy people can be.
My sister has a friend "L" who is super nosy. She is in her mid-40's and an infertile who has decided to live without kids. One would think she would be a bit sensitive, but she is really out there in terms of nosiness.
So my first encounter with her bizarreness was about two years ago when my husband had contacted her for business reasons. She worked in a local engineering company and he was starting his own business so was looking for contacts.
He calls her and introduces himself and they begin a conversation. Then out of the blue she asks him "are you and Sunflower trying to have a baby". He was taken aback but said in a non-committal manner "Yes it is something we are considering". She then launches into questions such as "have you tried IVF? Do you have fertility issues? My husband and I do couples conseling for IVF since its stressful and can break up a marriage" etc. My husband was stunned. To change the topic, since he was very uncomfortable to be discussing fertlity with some strange woman, he asked her what her husband does - then she clams up and says "I dont want to discuss my personal life".
Really?
My husband then comes downstairs and his exact words were "Is that woman off her rocker?" and recounts the whole conversation.
So, inappropriate of her on so many levels!
Anyway, yesterday I was talking to my sister who just got back from a girls weekend with a group of friends including this woman. My sis does not really like her, but she is part of a group.
During the trip this woman strats asking my sister all sorts of questions about me. I have no idea why she is so fascinated by me or my life. I have met her only twice.
She knows I am divorced so she asked my sister "what happened and why did they get divorced?". My sis replies "I don't know the details". So then this woman "L" says, "maybe it was the infertility since it can cause stress in a marraige".
She then asks my sister if I am doing IVF on my own, and very stupidly my sis says Yes.
Then she asks, "Is she using her husband's sperm". My sis answers "don't be silly why would she use his sperm if she just divorced him?". Then she asks "does infertility run in your family". My sis says "I have no idea".
Then she asks my sis "why did you not donate your eggs?", to which my sister said "firstly I am older and she does not need eggs. She has her own!"
L persists "why did they not adopt?". By then my sis was pissed off too. So she said "why did you not adopt?". So L replies, "my husband did not want to", so my sis says "well maybe her husband did not want to either".
...and so went the conversation.
I was so annoyed yesterday night after I came home.
I had every intention of emailing that woman and giving her a piece of my mind and telling her to back the hell off. Plus I was annoyed at my sis for even having allowed that conversation to go that far. She should have nipped it early on when the divorce came up and said "I don't want to discuss my sister's personal life".
I will be emailing my sis today and telling her in the future to just stick to talking about her life and not mine since this stuff is very personal to me and not a subject of idle chit-chat, especially since its not like this woman even cares, she is just being nosy.
I have also written a response for my sis to use once I announce my pegnancay - just a simple sentence "She decided to become a Single Mom using fertility treatments". It says it all and that is what I told my boss too.
Now what treatment I have had (IVF/IUI), how long, what sperm donor I used is nobody's business at all.
Am I wrong in being pissed off?
Ummm...no, not at all. I would be furious with both the woman and my sister. Highly inappropriate!
ReplyDeleteI agree...totally inappropriate and NO...I would be pissed too!
ReplyDeleteI would be pissed off too. It's none of her darn business or any one else's for that matter how you conceived your child or the choices you made.
ReplyDeleteI'd be hacked off also.
ReplyDeleteAnyone would be pissed off having their personal life pried into that way. None of her business, and I agree you should tell your sister that she is not at liberty to discuss these things with anyone outside your family.
ReplyDeleteIt is understandable for you to be upset. One of the most hurtful comments I received early on was from a church friend of my Mom's who, behind my back, said I probably made my Gramma (who lives with me) pay for the treatments. I was so angry on so many levels!!!
ReplyDeleteNo not wrong for being pissed. I think you need to remind your sister that she doesn't need to get into the details. People really don't understand the pain of other people's lives and they use it for the topic of conversation when they shouldn't.
ReplyDeleteI hate that! None of that woman's business at all. But I can't blame your sister entirely because people sometimes have caught me totally off guard and I find myself answering their questions because I'm just so not prepared, and I sometimes don't think quick enough, and then I can't believe I answered such inappropriate questions. Argh!
ReplyDeleteYou're not wrong to be angry. That woman's questions were incredibly inappropriate. There are definitely a few loose screws in her head. It sounds as if her own experience with infertility has made her obsessed with the fertility of others.
ReplyDelete