Friday, May 11, 2012

TGIF

Thank goodness its Friday.

Its been a tough week at work with a lot of issues that needed resolution and follow through.  Plus I have the unique position of being the only person in the company who can do customer demos, and since I get a lot of compliments for my presentation skills, I end up doing 3-4 demos a week for Sales, in addition to my own workload.  But heck I have a job, so I am not complaining.  When it gets rough my colleague and I vent to each other and then move on.

I told my Mom last night about the cycle delay.  She was bummed too, but what to do, right?  Just gotta roll with it and take it in stride.  I did not get a chance to fill out the paperwork and get the signature witnessed, but I will do that tomorrow. I think the library does that along with notarizing.

My phone has been giving me trouble and given I spend most of my work day on conference calls, I need to bite the bullet and buy a new cordless phone answering machine.

So, I went to Wal.mart to look and none of the phones there had a headset port. Can you believe that?  So, I went to Best.Buy and found one...but the numbers on the dial pad are HUGE. I cannot believe they have such large numbers. I am sure it is for visually impaired people. but really, there should be other options. Anyway I bought it...I may get used to the massive numbers.

This week was productive in that I got three quotes for my tree issue. I also have some saplings and in my backyard woods that need clean up. Interestingly the two companies liked and who were more professional were double the price of the third one. Its an old guy, but been in business a while....not sure of I should go with him or the higher priced companies with slick materials. They are all insured etc, which is the main thing I am concerned about.

I need a permit from the city for my magnolia tree since its a "specimen" tree. Luckily due to its  proximity to the house they should not have an issue. Interestingly all the three guys though that it was very poorly placed and needed to come down. I was afraid I would have to convince them of it.

Thanks MN for the idea of doing a donation.  I shall do so to the Arbor Day Foundation, of which I used to be a member to plant trees in a national forest...that should atone for cutting the trees down.

Tonight I am  kicking back with a glass of wine and takeout Chinese - yum!

5 comments:

  1. Are you kidding, Sales can't do their own demos. How on earth do they sell anything. I can demo all the clinical components of the software I support and I'm not clinical.

    I guess it comes with being interseted in understanding users.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being from the business world (even the one year I spent in it was spent completely in an office), I can't understand the issue with Sales. I do sort agree with Evelyn that it seems like Sales would be able to do demos. Oh well, as long as you are ok with it. Which tree guy do you feel more comfortable with ? Not which one is most impressive in presentation, but which one seems to really be best prepares for the job.

    oh- chinese food? I'm envious. None of my pals will go with me to the good Chinese place but it's not in the best part of town and I really do not like the strip-mall Chinese delivery place Roomie likes. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are both correct. Sales should do their own demos, they just don't want to bother. Easier to have someone else do it, right? The new Sales VP is pushing for them to do their own, so hopefully in the next few weeks they will start.

      Delete
  3. Chinese take out...wish I were still living in NY.

    ReplyDelete