Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Two Weeks!

I have much to say and update, but given my lack of cohesion in thoughts I am resorting to bullets:

  • Today is my "official" due date and Beanie is 15 days old.
  • I am still amazed looking at Beanie and thinking she could well still be inside me had it not been for the earlier scheduled c-section. It is such a miracle.
  • I am easing into motherhood and enjoying it immensely, including managing on only a couple of hours of sleep a night. It is so worth it!
  • Normally I can get 1-1:30hr blocks of sleep between feedings, but since Sat, Beanie has had some issues with gas, so that has caused hardly any sleep since she is very fussy. Its hard to see her in pain. On Sunday my Mom found me sobbing with Beanie in my arms, since she seemed so distressed and I felt powerless to help.
  • We went to the pediatriciann today (unscheduled trip) since I wanted to have him look her over and had lots of questions about gas/poop/feeding etc. I will try gas drops and see if that helps.
  • Beanie passed the State Health blood test that checks for about 30 different congenital diseases.
  • She is also officially a "person" and got her SS card in the mail. Her first correspondence!
  • My milk supply is low so on Sat after talking with the lactation consultant,  I started taking Fenugreek to build it up.  Is it coincidental that Beanie's gas started that night?
  • The milk supply is a bit better but I do not get time to pump at all, so just I am  just nursing her and supplementing with formula. I hope to wean her off formula soon and just reserve it for when we wre away from home.
  • My 2 week OB appt was yesterday and I am healing well. To be honest I am so focused on Beanie that I forget I have had surgery. My Mom keeps reminding me to take my vitamin pills and stuff.
  • I am mobile now and climbing stairs and doing normal things around the house. Still not fully comfortable to drive, but probably will by the weekend. 
More later....hope you all are doing well. I am still reading and commenting when possible.

15 comments:

  1. I can't believe she's 2 weeks already. Time is going to fly by. I hope it feels like it's going slower while you're living it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two weeks! Crazy how fast time goes when it's someone else.

    Glad you're doing ok. Gas pains are harder on mama than baby, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everything is going well! Those first weeks are the hardest.

    I have heard anecdotally that fenugreek causes gas in babies, but don't quote me on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try colic calm. It's a little expensive but works great. Black liquid gold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're enjoying motherhood...even this early & sleep deprived, lol :)

    I also took Fenugreek plus Blessed Thistle to build up my milk & Elena was gassy...I started drinking fennel tea & that helped alot plus I preferred Gripe Water (the no alcohol kind) over the gas drops, it was made with more all natural ingredients & actually seemed to work better...but of course, you will find what works best for Beanie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are doing well! I spent so much money on different remedies for gas and I did not find anything that truly worked, except for a prescription gas medicine called levsin drops. They are not holistic or natural, but they did work. I only used them when he was in desperate pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow the time is going by quickly. Hoping you'll find time for more sleep and some time to pump once Beanie gets to sleeping for longer periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are enjoying being a mommy even with little sleep and Beanie's gas problem. Hope everything settles soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So wonderful to hear you say it is all worth it! I'm sure the post partum hormones and lack of sleep doesn't help with seeing Beanie struggle with gas. I love this update! Makes me so happy! This is a true happy ending to your beautiful story. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy 2 weeks! yes, that fenugreek can produce a helluva lotta gas in babies. one of the twins' gas got so bad that i began to add gas drops to his bottles of breast milk & formula. i actually had to quit taking it but by then my milk supply was established. mine was incredibly low too but after a few weeks taking 3 fenugreek 3 times a day my milk supply is awesome. i also hand express so i'm able to get a lot more milk out. additionally, i eat oatmeal everyday, which is also supposed to help (but i have always eaten oatmeal so it was no adjustment). just hang in there, you'll see an increase in no time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oops... last thing: i swear by mommy's bliss. that has got to be the best gripe water ever. each twin takes it at least once every couple days. after a couple droppers full i hear the sweet sound of smelly poots! read up about it on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I second the Gripe Water recomendation! It has definitely helped my darling girl get her gas out, as well as poop more often. I didn't notice an increase or decrease in gas when I started and stopped taking Fenugreek, but I didn't notice an increase in supply, either. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy two weeks, Beanie!! Time flies! I like gripe water better than gas drops, Harper is extremely gassy and this seems to help more then anything we've tried so far. I'm taking fenugreek, too, and I haven't noticed an increase in gas so far and my supply has increased by about 6 ounces per day. Not much but I'll take it. Glad things are going well!! Give that baby girl lots of kisses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your new baby!

    ReplyDelete