I have been wanting to write a post on my c-section recovery.
Overall the recovery has been really good. Much easier than my myomectomy, even though that was robotic, so only four small incisions. I think the reason is I have been so busy with Beanie that I have not had time to focus on my own self much.
The birth story tells of the actual procedure. It took several hours for the spinal to wear off so I was pretty comfortable initially and was able to put my full attention on newly born Beanie. Its only later that evening that it got uncomfortable.
They left the epidural line in my back and hooked me to an IV pain med that I could initiate by pressing a button. I was told I could do so every 10 min. I tried it, but to be honest it was a hassle to keep pressing it and it was not very effective.
So, by about 8pm that evening I was hovering around an 8/10 on pain and finally requested a pain med shot which they put in via the IV. The nurses commented that I had not used the self initiated medication a lot (guess they were monitoring it) and I looked too cheerful to be in pain - not sure if they expected me to be crying or what???
Anyway, I had the IV shots maybe twice - once that night and next early morning - before I was put on the oral pills - Perco.cet every 4-6 hrs on request and Ibup.rofen 800mg every 8 hrs. Those really helped and I did need the Perco.cet my entire stay, not every 4 hrs but I think it was about every 6 or so.
The next morning they took out my catheter, epidural and IV line. And that meant walking to the bathroom.
The first time out of bed was rough, but manageable. I felt a bit woozy and it was just hard to stand upright. It felt good when I finally did, but stretching my abdomen was a bit painful. Interestingly the pain was not at the incision site, but in the area around my belly button and below it.
From my myomectomy experience and from my research, the first time you pee its almost like you forget how to do it. I read online to pretend you are blowing through a straw. It stimulates the correct muscles.
I tried it and it worked like a charm.
They told me to expect a huge "gush" of blood, but it was just like a period and the heavy flow petered off after a few bathroom visits. I still have some spotting even now at 4 weeks out.
That same day (second day) I walked around the room, got out of bed, stood a bit and sat on a chair periodically. I was a bit unsteady so did not try to go outside the room.
It was difficult standing totally upright and most of the pain was due to bloating. I had a lot of gas and when my OB came by on Day 3 she could still feel gas trapped there. It got better by the time I left.
It was the last day (Day 3) that I ventured into the hallway and walked around to get my "sea legs". It felt weird, not painful, but weird since I had been confined in the room for two days.
My biggest concern was coming home and climbing the stairs.
Well, it was not an issue at all!!
I was able to climb up - slowly. It was not painful. And while my plan was to stay up there for a few days, due to Beanie's bilirubin tests we ended up getting out of the house every day for the next three days so I did have to come down and go back up daily.
In terms of at home pain meds, they had given me Perc and Ibu but at 6-8 hrs interval which was not the dosaget I was taking in the hospital. The day I got home I called the pharmacy asking if I could take the meds sooner since 8 hrs was not going to work. I ended up tag-teaming them so I was taking something every 6 hrs,
In the next couple of day or so the frequency decreased and I only took them 2-3 times a day and then every 12 hrs or so until I was off all meds by about a week out.
I did move around the house and after about a week, I was up and down the stairs.
The incision is about 5 inches and is put back with glue. It healed superficially pretty fast and was looking good at my 2 week follow up. The glue is now worn off and the incision looks nice. I am putting olive oil on it to keep it from getting tight as it heals further and itches. Need to buy some Vit E oil.
I started driving at 3 weeks post op.
I waited a bit simply because I had no reason to rush it. I have been shopping and I find pushing the cart, actually turning the cart, puts pressure on my right side and makes it painful, so I have dialed back my activity a bit the past couple of days after one shopping trip had me wincing a bit. Also, I tend to jump out of bed each time Beanie makes noises at night and that has at times aggravated my right side as well.
Overall though its been a LOT better that I had anticipated. I felt normal by 2 weeks and forget most times that I had major surgery which is a problem since I tend to overdo it.
The only two things I am still not doing at 4 weeks post surgery are:
(a) Exercising - I am cleared to go for walks, but with the high pollen count I have abstained. I am not allowed to do yoga (obviously) and not even the stationery bike.
(b) Lift heavy things (including Beanie in her car seat) - I don't feel I want to take a chance with heavy lifting so holding off on that for a couple of weeks more.
Hope this is helpful to any of you going in for a c-section.
I'd be staying inside too with the pollen counts, okay so I am staying inside right now with the pollen counts here.
ReplyDeleteGlad that your incision is healing nicely. I'll have to remember that straw thing and the olive oil.
Thanks for writing this! I don't know yet if I'll be having a c-section, but it's good to know that one can have a fairly good experience with it. That makes it a little less scary. :)
ReplyDeleteVery well written.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you feel somewhat better and think it's probably a good idea to hold off exercising for a while.
Great info! Glad your recovery is going so smoothly
ReplyDeleteWow, that's great that your recovery has been good. I hope you continue to heal quickly.
ReplyDelete