Today I had an unscheduled OB visit.
This may be *TMI* so if you get grossed out you may want to skip.
Since about 29 weeks I have noticed an huge increases in vaginal discharge. It seems to be normal for third trimester, but given one cannot really tell if its normal or not I had called the OB office last Thursday. They had said not to worry, and I mentioned it to the OB on Monday as well. What I was hoping for was a swab to confirm it was in fact not amniotic fluid, but nobody thought it necessary.
Last night at night around 9pm, I again felt a discharge of liquid (I get it 2-3 times a day) and when I looked at my pad it was slightly pinkish. I have seen it before so I was not totally panicked, but definitely concerned when I googled and all I read was mucous plug and imminent labor (not helpful at all!).
I decided against calling the on-call OB to wait and see if it re-occurs which it did not at night, but decided that today I would insist upon being seen. With the weekend coming I did not want to be in suspense and a visit to L&D is very expensive with my insurance plan (similar to ER).
I woke up bright and early, showered, had breakfast and called them. They called me back in about 30 min and got me in to see the mid-wife. Luckily work was quiet so I could slip away. They had me waiting a long time which was okay since I was unscheduled appt.
The mid-wife (whom I have met earlier) was most understanding. I showed her my pads (gross I know, but I needed her to see it). She did not think it was a concern but did swab my insides. Not a trace of amniotic fluid detected (yay!), cervix is closed tight (yay!), but she did see a lot of the milky white stuff which is not an infection (yay!), she checked under the microscope.
I was much relieved. I felt in my gut that it was fine, but needed that confirmation which I now have.
Now I can enjoy the weekend and not worry about discharge going forward.
In other news.....
I did a day care tour early in the morning yesterday and met with a pediatrician practice after work. They are about 20 min away from my house but its a big practice with long hours and Sat appts for sick kids which I liked.
Today at the OB office I met the nice mid-wife, M, and she takes her kids there, as does the check out lady who overheard our conversation, so I think I will start with this practice, and if needed, can change to the one close to my house later. I have a third pediatrician visit next week which I shall cancel so as to not confuse things further.
Other unrelated news....
I have mentioned my sister and her weird behaviour. I have now come to expect it of her ....
The latest is that a cousin of ours was visiting the big city. My sis planned to meet our cousin and have dinner with her last night, but did not even bother telling me, or having the courtesy of asking if I wanted to come along. My sis lives 5 min from my house, so its not like it would be a huge effort for he to pick me up. My cousin very sweetly gave some gifts for Beanie, so I emailed my cousin today since I don't have her phone number, thanked her for the gift and made it a point to mention that my sis never told me she was in town otherwise I would most certainly have met up with her. Just the typical thing my sis will do...totally selfish.
Interestingly another cousin is visiting later this month and contacted me. He will be coming over to my place for dinner. My sis is out of town that week, so I have not told her since she is not here anyway, but if she was I would have invited her even if my cousin did not outright ask to meet her. But that is just me.....
Oh and here is a random cousin who I meet once every few years and is nice enough to bring a gift for Beanie and my sis has not bought even a onesie. And I can bet she never shared the cost of the shower either with my Mom. Again, I do not except anything else from her and have made it a point to not share anything related to Beanie with her.
I could care less if she even came to see Beanie in the hospital. And if she does its only because she will not want to look bad in front of mutual friends, not because she cares two hoots for anybody. But that is how she is and now that I am realizing it, it makes it so much easier to continue keep her out of my life as much as possible.
Wow your sister reminds me of my brother. Sorry you have to deal with it.
ReplyDeleteHappy to read that everything is still good with you.
Glad everything is alright. Sorry about your sister, even when you expect it, it's still not nice!
ReplyDeleteWhew! So glad for some peace of mind!
ReplyDeleteYeesh. We should introduce your sister and my mother-in-law. They'd probably get on great. :\
ReplyDeleteSo glad that the discharge turned out to be benign.
lol - so true!
DeleteI'm glad everything turned out okay. You're sister sounds like my sister. It's very disappointing.
ReplyDeleteUggg...your sister sounds like such a headache - too bad. Glad you got checked out and everything's OK. So much better to be safe than sorry (heck, I've already been to Labour & Delivery three times and every time I feel like a paranoid nut case but they always reassure me that it's OK to come and get checked out if worried).
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you got it checked out, and everything is ok - it's better to be safe than sorry when you're pregnant!
ReplyDeleteThat sucks that your sister is so self centered...she's missing out on so much now, and will be a very lonely old woman some day.