Monday, February 25, 2013

Growth Spurt?

I went for my 2-week MFM appointment this morning.

I decided to switch to the place closer to home since I feel that by now all they are looking at is baby's growth and placental function.

Beanie is getting bigger each day so its hard to see much. All the super detailed look at her anatomy has been done by the guy in the city from 15 weeks to 31 weeks, so I feel comfortable moving over to this new clinic. It is next door to my OB, so very convenient.

Well, it seems Beanie had a major growth spurt the past two weeks and weighs in at a whopping 5lb 11oz at 33.5 weeks.

Wow!!!!!

She was 4lb 2oz two weeks ago!

According to their charts she is now at 90% percentile, whereas she was at 61% two weeks ago at the other clinic.

I am taking all this with a grain of salt because (a) I am sure switching clinics means that calculations are no longer "apples" to "apples" and each clinic has its own version of things (b) the weight estimates are only estimates, so not cut in stone.  Today's MFM doc did say that of she drops to say 75% next check not to worry...it can change.

In fact the past months when I looked at growth charts online what they said did not match the percentiles the previous MFM clinic were quoting anyway. I also did some googling and some posters had similar gestational measurement and were told they were 55-65 percentile which is close to how she was earlier.

So who knows...

Bottom line is she is growing and the good news is the IUGR is no longer a concern, so that is a welcome reprieve - phew!!

Moving forward I need to go in each week for a BPP (biophysical profile). They will not measure her each week, but only every two weeks. The tech commented that Beanie has a lot of hair - cute!

Interestingly, the ultrasound today was uncomfortable. My belly was super sensitive and it was almost "tender" as she was pressing down on it. The tech said that is because everything is stretched and generally thinning out.

I have been feeling a lot more pressure in my ribs and reclining was a tad uncomfortable yesterday while I was watching the Oscars. She confirmed that Beanie has her bum and one foot wedged under my ribs, which is why I have the feeling that she is right up there.

Last night my belly button was suddenly painful and I noticed that it had practically become level - it was freaky to look at and freakier to touch. I slathered on some lotion so that helped a bit.

I knew then that Beanie had grown for sure!

Updated:  Just for yucks and grins I plugged her numbers into this site http://www.babymed.com/fetal-growth-calculator.  She show up right on the yellow "average" line which seems more consistant with what I am reading of other women's babies!  Eitherways I am happy with her weight.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite a growth spurt! I think that's a sign that Momma is taking very good care of her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that she is growing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like she's doing great. Not much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a difference a couple weeks makes, eh? I didn't realize they could see hair on the ultrasound. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS a growth spurt! I'm so glad IUGR is no longer a concern. Interesting about your belly button - I've heard that they pop out at a certain point so maybe that's what's happening!

    ReplyDelete