Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Scheduling Snafu

This morning I had my bi-weekly OB visit.

As I had mentioned on a previous post, due to my myomectomy, they want Beanie out between Week 37 and Week 38. 

I am not thrilled, but it is what it is and about a month ago they gave me the precise dates between which I needed to schedule the delivery. 

I had met with Dr B and I liked her so I scheduled her for the c-section. Due to her availability and the fact they do not do scheduled c-sections on weekends, I ended up scheduling her when I am 37w1d. I would have preferred pushing it out more, but I had not met any of the other doctors and I did not want to "lose the space" with her.

There are two other doctors available on 37w4d and 37w5d.  I had not met either of them, so I decided that for my next two appts I will meet the other two Doctor and decide whom I want to go with. Now basically they are all good and qualified and can do c-sections in their sleep, I am sure. Its more about whose personality I like better.

During my last visit I met the second doctor, a guy. He was okay and today I was to meet Dr N who is available on 37w5d.

I had emailed my normal OB (does not do maternity cases) to give her an update on Beanie a couple of weeks ago and she had suggested pushing the surgery out as far as they would allow me and she felt Dr. N would really suit my personality.

So everything seemed good. I was going to meet Dr N today and if I liked her I would finalize the surgery date.

But nothing ever goes as planned as we all know!

Yesterday I get a call in the late afternoon to say that Dr. N had to switch with another Dr and would not be in my local office tomorrow. Neither did she have any openings in her other locations about 15 miles away.

Ugh!

I met the replacement doctor today since I did not want to delay my appointment. I really liked her (but she is not on call that week) and I explained the situation to her.

She was really nice and had me book Dr. N for two weeks from now and said that even though I would be only a couple of weeks out from the surgery date by then, they will work with me.

So as it stands right now, Beanie has a "tentative" birth date booked for third week in March, but it may get pushed out a few more days.

Now I have asked around and some OB's and my MFM guy do not think that 4 extra days in-utero after 37 weeks will make a huge difference to Beanie's development, so I am not going to stress of I have to stay with the 37w1d date.  But if I can push it out I will try.

The appointment itself went well. 

My BP was fine, no protein in urine and weight gain she said was 17lbs, which I am confused about since I its 24lbs on my scale, so not sure how they calculate things. My belly measured on track.

The doppler found Beanie immediately.  In fact she was quite busy in there and the doctor could feel her moving around.  She is face down and I know that because she likes to wiggle her toes under my ribs, which is a cute/funny sensation, until she gives a good kick!

I got sick again last night around 12:30pm :-(  It is not fun puking with a big belly, I can tell you, since bending makes it worse.

But it is definitely reflux-based and she said I could take Zantac without worries. She said if the Zantac did not help in the next week or so she could put me on other medication. I think she meant Zofran. But for now I am hoping that by watching my diet a bit closely, not eating/drinking close to bedtime and the Zantac will make it better.  Plus its not much longer anyway.

I discussed the other normal third trimester stuff, such as, the stiff fingers and today for the first time I noticed slightly swollen feet. But its all minor stuff in the grand scheme of things, and part and parcel of the miracle of pregnancy, so its all good.

Also, I have noticed that I have a few new followers. Welcome, ladies :-)




7 comments:

  1. Hmm, that sounds frustrating. So three days does make a difference at that point? I guess I'm a bit ignorant. I applaud your flexibility and hope that you really like Dr. N and can do it at the later time that you prefer. I am so amazed that the time is already arriving for Beanie's birth - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so busy mothering that your pregnancy has flown by. I hope that no matter what, your delivery goes smoothly (and even if it doesn't, the main goal is just to get that baby out safely, right?). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just my opinion, but I think 3 days makes a difference, but also understand sometimes some situations just can't be avoided! Since hitting 35 weeks I am suddenly terribly uncomfortable!! I hope you'll have a few more weeks of comfort before late third trimester crap sets in!! Have you tried Tums before bed, too??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always has to be a snafu doesn't there. Glad all is good tho

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a mom with a repeat c/s and a neonatal nurse - I can tell you I would not schedule a c/s before 38 weeks - I'd take the last apt available . NYC hospitals stopped doing repeat c/s at 38 week and now push moms until 39weeks unless you do a repeat amino and a lung test - the A.A of obstetrics resendes it's statement that approved c/s and 38 weeks.

    Good luck and best wishes for a safe delivery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I agree that normally 39 weeks is the standard. However, given that my myomectomy involved cutting throught the uterine wall, they are worried about risk of uterine rupture, hence the earlier dates. I do agree though that the longer the baby can stay in, the better, which is why I am hoping to push it out as far as I can.

      Delete
  6. I hope that you are able to get the doctor that you prefer to do the surgery and that Beanie cooperates.

    ReplyDelete