Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Sign of the Times

Its is interesting how "mainstream" being a Single Mom by Choice is becoming.

Yesterday I met up with a cousin visiting from out of state. It was great seeing him and he commented on how wonderful it was that I made the plunge into becoming a SMC. As he said a lot of women may think about it, but actually doing it is a whole other thing.

Then a little while ago I was at the grocery store and ran into a single girl I have met before socially a couple of times - mid-30's I would guess. We got talking and she saw the obvious belly and was surprised. I told her that I decided to become a single Mom.

She was so happy for me and immediately said that she too was thinking about it. That made me realize that this is indeed becoming very mainstream. She is from a very conservative culture and despite that she said her Mom was encouraging her!

Her only reluctance was that she was alone  in the city with no family support locally so was a bit worried about that aspect of it.

We talked a bit more about it and I told her my only advice, one I wished someone had given me, was to get herself checked out to see where she stands fertility-wise and if something she wants to do, not to wait too long.

Next week is my now-biweekly MFM visit.

Hopefully Beanie is putting on weight. I have not really put on much the last 2 weeks, so not sure if she has.  I hope so!

I am trying out the local MFM place this time, since the visits will now become much more frequent and I don't want to keep taking time off to drive over an hour one way to the guy in the city.

I will try them out and see what detailed report they provide. If its not up to snuff shall go back to city guy. Fact is that should there be a problem with the pregnancy, my OB will be using the local MFM folks since they are assigned to the hospital where I will be delivering, so it is better of I can use the next few weeks to make them familiar with my case.

Also, I managed to contact the c-section scheduling person and she said that after I meet the OB week after next and if I want to push my c-sec date out, they will accommodate me. That was good. I still have the earlier date booked.

7 comments:

  1. One of my antepartum nurses was a thinker/planner. She didn't realize I was single, when she mentioned it. I shared as much as I could with her. That same day she was on the sperm bank's website. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with a woman who cornered me in my office not too long ago to ask about 100 questions about becoming a single mom by choice. She took notes and everything! I have met very few people who haven't been supportive of my choice, even my ultra conservative catholic family. I'm thankful it's becoming more and more mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've told very few people but everyone who knows fully supports me. I was a little surprised and really happy by how okay and happy everyone is with it. I would have done it anyway, but it's nice when people support you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so great that it's more accepted now. I remember when my aunt, 40 at the time got pregnant with twins, everyone was in shock. OMG, it was the end of the world! This was 25 years ago. Now it's not seen the same way at all, I feel like people are mostly rooting for women like you, for your courage and strong will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is great that you have a good support system in place. I know if I tried to be a mom by myself I'd most likely fail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I joined a forum for women using donor sperm, so needless to say, there are quite of few SMC. I admire them and you for pursuing a dream and not let society dictate what are the right conditions to be a mother. Also I can believe how close you are getting to your delivery date. Enjoy those last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete