Firstly, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on laundry detergent and cord banking on my previous post. Wottadoll - its really cool that you make your own detergent!!
I purchased All Free and Clear yesterday - small 33 load bottle to check it out and at least get started. The SG is so difficult to find around here. Neither Tar.get nor Wal.Mart carry it...so I would prefer something I can run out to the store and buy when needed.
With reference to my post subject line --
If one other person tells me how "small" or "tiny" I look at 7 mos pregnant I will smack them - hard!!!
Its NOT a compliment any longer, even though they always say "how lucky I am". Given IUGR is one of the potential risks Beanie is facing, it makes me very nervous to keep hearing constantly how tiny my bump is. I will ask my OB next week about it when they measure me. I still have a a couple of weeks before my MFM appt to do a growth check, but if my belly measures fine I will feel a bit better -- I hope.
Went to a Breastfeeding Class this morning at the local hospital. It was 3 hrs long. My Mom came with me and I treated her to a nice Mexican lunch afterwards. My Dad is funny - he was asking my Mom in the morning "what on earth can they talk about for 3 hrs on breastfeeding?!"
The lactation consultant was really nice. She went through a bunch of slides and we saw a DVD - all about latching, how to feed, how often, plus things like breast pumps, storing etc. For a newbie like me it was really good information. If you think about it its kind of silly to have a class on something that has been done since the time of cavemen.....but I was glad to have gone for it.
On Thursday I went for my first pediatrician "meet and greet".
The ped was recommended to me by a family friend. Its a small practice with only one Dr and one NP so that could be a "con". But it is really close by and I liked that they had a separate sitting room for sick kids and for healthy kids. It was nice and cheery with lots of sunlight and big exam rooms with themes. I downloaded a checklist of questions to ask him so I would not forget something important. I liked his demeanour and and attitude. He used to be a pediatric ER doctor and has a lab, X-Ray, EKG machine etc in the office and can even do casts. I asked him if he has dealt with medically complex babies (I still have the trisomy fear in the back of my mind) and he said he had. I mentioned the whole CVS and double amnio saga and he thought that with the normal amnios Beanie will be fine.
When I drove up to the Ped Office I saw two day cares. So after the appt, I stopped into one of them to get some pricing on the spur of the moment.
The director was only too happy to spend 45 min telling me about their philosophy and showed me around, introduced me to the teachers/caregivers, etc. It was nice. The rooms were large and opened out to a play area. The kids were mostly taking naps so it was nice and quiet and the older kids seemed quite content. I guess I was expecting shrieking and pandemonium :-) And while I had no time to prepare and have no experience in any of this stuff, I did ask some sensible questions about security/safety, health, curriculum, etc.
Its a school actually and goes all the way through to Kindergarten. Its pricier than most of the others and apparently 95% of students there go on to private schools so probably for the affluent of our community (not that I am one of those). They have a wait list until July/Aug which could work well.
I have two more pediatrician visits and day care visits planned over the next couple of weeks.
Hope you are having a nice weekend!
I think people always feel they have to say something to a pregnant belly and what more to say but how big or small.
ReplyDeleteMy mom tells me one of my aunts went to church the day she had my cousin and no one knew she was pregnant so I think everyone shows different. It was the 60s and she was a single teen so I guess that tells you how small she must have looked.
Still, I understand why you would be concerned and you should definitly talk to the doc.
I was going to say the same thing as Evelyn - people just feel compelled to comment about a pregnant woman's size/how she's carrying/etc. It's annoying.
ReplyDeleteYou certainly got a lot accomplished this past week. Understandable how you feel being told you are small by those not knowing it hurt to hear that.
ReplyDeleteIt is annoying how people comment about size. One of my friends was pregnant with her second baby when I was pregnant. She was two months behind me, but still her belly was much bigger if we were standing next to each other. People always assumed she was due first, however, everyone carries very differently. My son was just over 8 pounds, and two months later she had a 7 pound baby. She was actually diagnosed with an excess amount of amniotic fluid...you just can never tell.
ReplyDelete