Yesterday evening was my baby shower (1/26/2013).
It was super fun - wonderful company, great gifts and excellent food/wine. My Mom outdid herself in the organizing and catering!
On Friday after work Mom came over and we "set up" the table settings and banner etc. We created different stations - a small bar area in the kitchen and a coffee station between the kitchen and dining room. The dessert was to be displayed on the sideboard in the dining room and food on the table. We set up a small table on the side with the plates and cutlery. My Mom had bought really cute pink and white striped napkins with white dinner plates, and pink dessert plates with napkins that had a cute girl monkey on it with a pink bow. My nursery theme is safari so cutesy giraffe, monkey, elephant etc.
The house had been cleaned spotless by me, so we got done pretty quickly. We moved some chairs around and added a few additional seating areas to accommodate the guests.
Saturday was "action station" with my parents arriving at 10am loaded with stuff. And were in and out all morning with the cake, balloons, etc. I went with my Dad around lunch time to pick up some of the food that we were having catered - pulled pork and slaw for sliders.
After lunch I did another quick vacuum and dusting and cleared away my laptop etc...then it was off for a nap.
At 4:15 just as I was surfacing my Mom was back this time with my Sis in tow. They were all ready and dressed and had brought all the platter of food. I helped them get things in place then went up and got ready.
On a side note -- my Mom had requested my sis to drop off a table at my place on Friday around 6pm, which she conveniently forgot. My Mom was really annoyed with her for a change. Mom also told me that my sis could only stay until 8pm on Sat, since she has another engagement. I really did not care either way.
Guests started to arrive at 5:30pm. First my neighbor, who bough a huge gift but was unable to stay. She did chat with my Mom and we decided I would drop over to her place in the next few weeks. All the guests who accepted the invitation came except two, one who is also pregnant with her 4th baby and her husband had some flight trouble so could not be there to babysit the kids, and another who was sick.
I had two other neighbours come as well. They live right opposite and diagonal to me. Super nice ladies and it was the first time my Mom was meeting them. They blended in really well with the rest of the group who knew each other so they stayed the entire evening.
Everyone was really complimentary of how I looked and being a Leo, and never one to be a shrinking violet, I have to say I enjoyed basking in the glory of being the "belle of the ball". It was nice to be called a "cute" pregnant person, with only a belly to show for it. I also got a lot of compliments on the house and how I have done it up, many of the attendees had never seen my house before.
We had appetizers and wine (not me of course) and dinner was served at 7pm which was my Mom's beyond decadent "grown up" mac n cheese with Gruyere, pulled pork sliders, chicken nuggets, antipasto platter, cheese/cold cuts and veggies w/dip. Everyone enjoyed the food and almost everyone had seconds which was wonderful.
Before dinner we had a toast. My neighbour across the street made a really lovely toast applauding my decision to become a single Mom and my courage to do something not normally done in my culture. She had taken me aside earlier and said the same thing and how honoured she was to know me, which was so nice of her.
After she was done I made a toast to my Mom thanking her (and Dad) for their unconditional love and support without which none of this would even be possible. I also mentioned how my coworkers, friends and extended family have been accepting and supportive. I purposely did not mention my sister, who other than having blabbed to all and sundry about my pregnancy (e.g. her high school friends) has done pretty much nothing.
We then cut the cake around 8pm which had a giraffe on it to go with my safari theme nursery, poured some coffee and settled to open gifts.
I had a registry and a few things were purchased from there, but mostly the gifts were outside the registry. Mainly lots of clothes because who can resist baby clothes especially for a girl. The great thing was they were all bigger sizes eg 9 mos, 12 mos etc of which I have none. Got a cute yellow ducky bath set with robe, washcloths, etc from the registry. Also got a crib mobile and laundry basket from an out of state friend. Other items included a Baby Einstein activity table, baby monitors and a combined gift of a Graco Pack n Play and sheets. Wow!!!
Everyone left around 9:30ish and offered help when the baby comes in terms if baby sitting, answering questions, etc.
Beanie had fun too. She sensed the anticipation and excitement and was moving around all day long. A big difference from Friday morning when she was so quiet for almost 6 hrs after I woke up that I got a bit worried. Rubbing my tummy and talking to her did not result in any movement either. Ended up drinking a cold ginger ale around lunchtime and poking my tummy gently to which she gave three hard kicks as if to say "don't bother me!" She was up after that with the sugar and I felt bad having woken her up :-( Given she was up most of the day yesterday, I expect her to sleep mostly today.
Later when my Mom was cleaning up I realized that my diamond dress ring I was wearing was not on my finger. I don't wear it often and when I do its normally on my middle finger but it did not fit, so I was wearing it on my ring finger on my right hand. Logic told me that it probably came off when ripping the gifts open. I looked around ....could not find it.
My Dad had come to pick up my Mom so he says "What diamond ring? Your wedding ring?". I had to laugh and say "really Dad why on earth would I be wearing my wedding ring??" I got the garbage bag with the wrapping paper and smoothed out each piece.....no luck. I looked into each gift bag, walked around the house, no luck. I was feeling a bit bad about losing it since I have had it for years. Then I finally moved a box right by the chair I was sitting on and sure enough it was on the floor near the fireplace. Phew!! So glad I found it! It would have marred an otherwise great evening
Today is all about clearing up after the party and of we have energy my Dad and I will build the crib. or at the very least the bassinet. My Mom is travelling for two weeks in mid-Feb, so after this weekend I want her to be able to focus on her trip.
Thanks for all your well wishes on my last post.
Sounds like a fantatic event. I love your neighbour by the way.
ReplyDeleteYour relationship with your folks sounds like mine. It's nice that your daughter will be coming into a family with grandparents like them. How could she feel anything but loved?
What a great baby shower. :) There was a lot of love in room.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like quite the lovely shower! So glad that you had a good time and have so many great support people!
ReplyDeleteGlad you were able to find your ring before vacuuming. See now I want mac and cheese and cake. Ugh! I'm a leo too but a shy one because of my childhood. Wishing I could be more like you and enjoy a fantastic party like you wrote about. Hope you get the bassinet put together soon.
ReplyDeleteSounds like such a special shower :) And what great support you have :) Just nominated you for a Liebster award btw!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you and Beanie had such a lovely shower. You have great friends and family. :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like it was fabulous...just what you deserved. glad you enjoyed yourself!
ReplyDeleteSounds like such a great time! Be careful putting together that Pack N Play... they're tricky!
ReplyDelete