Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Trying to Make Sense of It All

Thank you for all you kind words. Reading your comments today has been so comforting.

I had an incredibly difficult evening and night. I could hardly eat dinner and spent hours googling until 2am, so I can better understand this condition.

Trisome 18 mosaicism is very rare. So, rare that there is very little on the Internet about it.  It is an aberration and is not hereditary.  This is not a very common mosaic but has the highest incidence of being reflected in the fetal tissue, which is 23%, based on abnormal CVS results.

After getting no sleep and eating hadly anything in the morning, I called the Genetic Counselor today. I had had time to let it sink in and I had done enough research to have some questions.

I have to say that, if nothing else, I feel that baby and I are in very good hands with this downtown "big city" clinic. They are so awesome and on top of things. They have gathered all the information from the other MFM clinic, and by 11am she had already placed a call to my OB.

The counselor had all the time to talk to me. I started off practically in tears and she was really sweet while I tried to control my emotions.

Basically she is cautiously optimistic about the amnio results simply because:
(a) Only 2 cells of 28 cells in the CVS were found with T-18, so only 7%
(b) My NT scan and the blood work from Part 1 of the Sequential Scan are fine. In fact it gives the baby a 1/10,000 chance of T-18
(c) The Dr (bless his heart) spend some time this morning looking over the U/S scans they had taken on 10/5 and he is not seeing anything abnormal or any markers

So interestingly, if I had not volunteered to have the CVS, nothing so far would indicate any issue with the baby.

Maybe its a good thing I did it, or, did I just screw myself over -- not sure :-(

Of course it all depends on what they find in the amnio. They will request that instead of 15 cells being cultured which is the norm, that they take a larger sample just so we can be sure. She said that given the CVS findings the lab will be super diligent when looking at the cells to rule out any issues.  As I said, I feel I am in very professional hands.

Of course only 1% of women who get the CVS test get mosaic results -- guess I was the unlucky one.

We decided not to bother with early results for amnio, since we know that the CVS early results were just fine  for 21, 18 and 15 but the final results showed a very different picture. In case you are wondering, the early CVS result are the outside cells of the villa that grow quickly. The slower ones are the inside ones which more closely match the fetal cells hence why they want the amnio.

So its a crapshoot either way. It could be or it could not -- and I can only wait.

I also mentioned the Materniti21 test (thanks, anonymous!) and oddly the Dr himself had mentioned to the GC that he would like me to take it merely out of academic reasons to see what it would have come back with.

She said I could talk to him about it. At this point why not throw everything at this problem.

So, it was a somewhat comforting call.  Of course nothing is 100% which is the worst.  I had done the CVS precisely to get a black/white answer - this mosiac "maybe" is what is the hellish part.

I feel optimistic right now, but I have been a wreck all day.

And I still cannot believe the absolutely rotten bad luck.

After all that DE selection, fertilization, embryo development, craziness and finally getting a BFP and the pregnancy progressing so well so far at almost 15 weeks.  It is a kick in the stomach.

One thing is for sure this news has sucked the joy out of the pregnancy.

Even if the amnio results are fine, I am still in that hellish place of worrying about every U/S going forward and never really knowing for sure until the baby is born and tested.

I know life is not fair.

Its been unfair to so many of us in so many different ways.

I have to admit there were times last night in my state of anxiety when I wished I gotten a BFN and not even gotten pregnant.

I know it sounds horrible but its my dismay and fear talking. I am terrified of what my little girl will have to face in her future.

I am normally not a despondent person by nature, but this has knocked the winds out of my sails.

Sorry for the depressing post. My next few will likely be just as dark, so feel free to skip. It helps me to put it out there.

Ironically this past weekend was the first time I felt energetic and normal. I went shopping with my Mom to buy some maternity clothes (pants, jeans) and we ate lunch out. The first time in 15 weeks I felt good enough to go to a restaurant - sigh!

I did take some time to go fora  walk after I spoke with the GC. I needed that air and sun. Its weird that everything is the same and familiar, but my life is at such crossroads.




12 comments:

  1. Well, I feel more optimistic after reading all the information they gave you, for whatever that is worth. I understand why it sucked the wind out of your sails. I am sorry for that. :( Still continuing to pray over here for you and your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got some thorough information & especially that you have Drs you can trust. I just wish there was some way to get some wind back in your sail. Thinking good thoughts for you & your babe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I breathed better too after reading this post. You be as dark as you want to for as long as you need to! I would be just as freaked out and worried if I were you. This is the place for it where people love you both and support you and sometimes it really does help just to push "publish". Still sending prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your post from yesterday and today's, I'm so so sorry, this is so not fair! After all you've been through, this should be a worry-free, happy/exciting time. I'm so sorry. But after today's post I feel better too. It looks like maybe it's just a scare, but still not fair you have to wait this long to have some peace of mind. Hang in there, S, we are all here for you and hoping and praying that you will be blessed with a totally healthy baby girl at the end. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankful you have good doctors and reasons to be optimistic. Thought about you a lot today, continuing to say prayers for you and baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your going to get the MT-21 - it is really suppose to be an excellent marker. The test takes about a week so it might giver you some relief if it is normal. I have has several friends with Trisome pregnancies ( NYC has a very advanced maternal age) and every time something has shown up on the quad or the NT scan before the amino. I didn't have all of your information last night when I made a comment but your results are amazing and I too am very optimistic that your going to have a healthy baby girl. Most OB's in the city do not like CVS and much prefer and amino unless there is an indicated risk factor. We also doing a DE cycle with a CCS tested embryo so my current OB said that since the CCS testing is 95% and the donor is 24 that we can skip the amino if the NT/ quad screen look good but I was planning to do a CVS and now I'll wait for the amino. ( so thanks for sharing your painful story)

    Think positive thoughts and force a smile - it eventually starts to help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering yesterday what the odds of a false positive were but I'm not sure that false positive is the proper term for it. Regardless, I'm hoping that's what this ends up being.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like your chances are good that this is just something that will prove to be a false alarm.

    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad the genetic counselor was able to talk you down some. Hopefully, prayerfully, those results were just a fluke and your baby girl will be perfectly healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're feeling a bit better. I hope this scare just turns out to be a hellish nightmare and the amnio shows everything is fine. Thinking about you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the points made by the counselor all sound very positive and hopeful. I know this is very scary, but I hope you can hang on to those positives.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete