Monday, October 15, 2012

A Very Bad Day


I don't even know how to write this post.

I got some bad news today for my CVS results.  I got a call from the genetic counselor. I was on a conference call but the fact that she was calling filled me with dread.

I was right in feeling that way.

I had got my early results last week (nurse called) and my FISH results were normal for Trisomy 21, 18 and 15, I was somewhat relieved.

However, final results have found Trisomy 18 in some of the cells cultured. Trisomy 18 is incompatible with life due to severe health issues.

They want me in for an early amnio this Friday to confirm findings. 

There is a chance that the mosaicism is restricted to the placental cells and the fetal cells, which are best represented in the amnio by the baby's skin cells and urine, could be normal.  The genetic counselor did not raise any alarm but said that the amnio results and the 20 week scan will give a better picture.

But I am worried. 
I don't know want to do or think.

I had a big cry earlier after the call and when my Mom came over earlier this evening.  Now am just numb and it feels like a bad dream.  I was just getting to the point where I was beginning to exhale and feel that this may all turn out okay. And now this.....

I am trying to tell myself its premature to panic until I get the amnio results but that is a good 3 weeks out. Its going to be a pretty rough ride.

Nothing in this journey is easy.

Oh and I am having a baby girl!  I found out last Monday, and was hoping to do the big happy reveal this week with wonderful CVS results.

This is not how I expected to tell you all :-(

Just so sad right now.



18 comments:

  1. I don't thing there are any words I can give to offer any comfort, so I'll just say you're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sunflower sweetie, hopefully they will find everything fine with the amnio. You and your little girl are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry - please know that there can be a error because embryos are smart and often " kick " out a chromosome and restructure so it is possible to be a placental cell as the genetic dept mentioned and for the baby to be normal. ( not too common but it occurs) . If you had a normal nuchal and quad screen I'd try to stay a bit positive - generally a T-18 baby does not look normal on the ultrasound and a red flag is indicated that cvs testing should be done ASAP . Also there are some newer blood test that have about a 90-97% chance of pickin up T-18 - might good get this done while waiting for amino for peace of mind. Also they will run a FISH with the amino.

    Best wishes for a healthy baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. Thinking of you and your little girl and sending care. Hoping and praying that the amnio goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear this. I hope with all my being there is better news at the next test. Thinking of you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my...so not expecting to read this. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I'm hoping beyond hope that your baby is OK. Huge hug my friend. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Sorry. Thinking of you and baby girl. {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. How frightening! I'm hoping and praying that your little baby girl will be one of the ones that has a normal amnio after abnormal CVS- especially since the nuchal fold and FISH results.

    Sending you lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying you have peace until the amnio and then it confirms all is okay with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you received bad news. I hope so much that the amnio finds everything to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds terrifying but really hoping for you that everything looks okay at the next test. You'll be in my thoughts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate that you have to go thru this. Praying you get better news from then amino

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no dear. I'm so very sorry that they found this. Praying for you and the baby Sunflower that things will turn out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sunflower, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm hoping and praying that the results from the amnio come back normal. You'll be in my thoughts. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sunflower

    READ THIS PLEASE:

    http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/cvs-testing-vs-amnio-what-i-wish-i-had-known-also-long


    I have a feeling baby will be okay! Love Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie. Ironically I had seen this article when I was researching "if" I should do the CVS. I remember thinking that this woman had it rough. I am hoping that I get good results but she is right about being robbed of the joy. Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  16. I am so sorry!! I hope you get better news from the amnio. I wish there was something I could do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking and praying for you and your little girl. Lean on us for hope.

    ReplyDelete