Friday, October 12, 2012

That was Easy

Tonight I told my niece about my pregnancy.

Last weekend when she was at home I could not meet her since I had the CVS.   My Mom told her I had a small procedure which is why my Mom was staying with me and my parents were scurrying around back and forth from my home.  My niece was concerned and had asked her mother (my sis) if I was okay etc, so I felt its time I spilled the beans.

So, today is my parent's anniversary and we were all having dinner at their place. I went in and said hi to her hugged her and we talked about school and work. I was super hungry so was not wanting to get into any discussion then, but my sis and BIL walk in and are like "did you tell her?

So, told her that I was expecting a baby. She was a bit surprised and said "oh okay" and then said
"cool I will have a cousin". 

We had our dinner and dessert and later I took her aside and gave her the details about my decision to be a single Mom, doing IVF (she knew about it from bio class), using a sperm donor and finally my decision to use an egg donor.

My niece is almost 18 years old so I felt did not feel awkward talking about it, plus she is a Biology Major so it seemed appropriate.

I made it really casual and my Mom who was there chimed in too at appropriate parts. I did tell her that other than our immediate family, I do not plan to disclose the donor egg part to anyone since I think (a) its immaterial and nobody's business how this child was conceived (b) its is my child's decision to decide who and if they want that information known.

I am glad the conversation has been had and we can now all openly talk about it.  I will tell my nephew when I see him next. Being a boy I doubt he could care less.

My sister of course made some stupid remarks during the evening, like telling my niece that I expected her to babysit  next summer, and that my Mom was retiring from her job next year to take care of the baby. I wanted to smack her.  Its these stupid comments that are so unnecessary and just made to get the rise out of people.  She does not need to be supportive, but there is no need to be negative about it. But that is just how she is.....so I will not let her spoil my happiness.

5 comments:

  1. I glad you understand how your sister is and don't let her pull too much from you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is she missing being the center of the attention for being the only child bearer in the family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you told your niece. When I talk to my niece about this stuff it's always a reminder how grown up she is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, I had the same thought as Rebecca.

    I'm glad the talk with your niece went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your conversation with your niece went well. Your sister needs a kick in the butt - what is her problem!?

    ReplyDelete