Saturday, October 20, 2012

Amnio

I had the amnio yesterday at 2pm as scheduled (thankfully!)  I was really scared that they would postpone it but the membranes were fused so he could proceed.

Prior to the test, I met the genetic counselor (GC). She asked me how I was doing and answered some questions. I think with all the research I have done I have a pretty good handle on the academic stuff, but ultimately of course nobody knows.

Then the GC left and the nurse did the ultrasound.

Beanie is measuring right on track at 15w1d, heart rate of 158. The nurse did an anatomy scan - looking and measuring the skull (normal size/shape), femur bone (normal size), weight (5 ounces normal). She looked at the hands (open), and as she kept doing it she kept saying that she was seeing nothing out of the ordinary. My placenta placement was great and amniotic fluid was fine. Beanie was doing shoulder stands and opening and closing her hands and touching her face.

Then I was asked to empty my bladder. It was a bit humorous since I though I needed a full bladder and while you do for CVS, not for amnio. Who knew?

Then the perinatologist came me in - Dr G.  He is so awesome.  He asked me how I was and I said I could  be better and not having an amnio :-(  He was sympathetic that I was the 1 of 100 who get "inconclusive" CVS results.

The main question I asked him was will the amnio be conclusive, or will I need another amnio, or god forbid a cordocentesis (where they take blood from the unblical cord to test).

He said the amnio is conclusive and he will not have me do the cordocentesis.

So this is how it stands now:

If the amnio shows mosiacism, then it proves its in the baby and not confined to placenta.

However, if the amnio is clear it shows the baby is fine and I can sigh relief and move on.  I will still need to be monitored closely for growth, since if the placenta has some funky cells it can make it less optimal so I am not out of the woods completely, but obviously in a better position than option #1.

They plan to do an extended culture and have written to do more than the normal number of cells given the CVS results. So that was comforting.

I opted out of the Matrniti21 since it can pick up placenta cells and if its positive they have people do amnio anyways, so it seemed pointless.

I also opted out of the 48 hr FISH results since I had a bad experince with the CVS FISH and would rather wait and get a final result.

Then he cleans my stomach with betadine and decided where to insert the needle. Beanie's foot is dangling aound there, so he pokes my belly to get her to move.

She refuses.

So he sticks the needle in. It took me by surprise since I thought he was still tyring to get her to move. It was a pinch and a cramp as it entered the uterus wall and then nothing really as he suctioned out the fluid.

Beanie was so sweet and cooperative and did not move a muscle during the amnio and lay perfectly still, so he could do this thing and not worry about her twitching around.  In fact even the nurse commented how still she was.

After the procedure they re-checked the hearbeat and all was fine.

I felt pretty good. No cramping or anything and much better than after the CVS.

Came home to complete bedrest which I am still on today. My Mom is here and helping me with my meals.

So, now I wait.....not much I can do.

At times I feel optimistic that all is good, and then get worried. I know I will continue to yo-yo this way for the next two weeks, but I am trying to stop worrying since its not going to change the outcome and its not healthy for me or Beanie.

And here I thought TWW sucked --- this two week wait is infinitely more hellish!






8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear the procedure went smoothly. Two weeks is a long time to wait for results! Is this standard? I have everything crossed for you. Hoping you are able to distract yourself and maybe do some fun and nurturing things. Seems like a good thing that all her measurements were right on track/normal, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this two week wait goes fast and, obviously, has good news at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the middle of the 2ww, I can tell you that absolutely your 2ww is a million times worse. Thinking of you - hope the two weeks speed by and there's good news at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staying hopeful for you. She? Did I miss the gender announcement? Well congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray that everything is okay with your baby girl! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate you've had to go thru this but am so glad it went so smoothly. Sending good thoughts the next two weeks

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sucks that you have had to go through this, but I am praying that your little girl is completely healthy. Telling you to stay calm will not work, but try to take care of yourself. It's the best thing you can do right now for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad it went OK and hoping for positive, conclusive results for you. Hang tight - you're stronger than you know :)

    ReplyDelete