The world seems to have gone mad!
There are so many conflicts, in so many parts of the world (not to mention Ebola) that whatever one's political or religious affiliations, its heartbreaking to see the violence and loss of life. Especially those of children.
I read a blog yesterday of a SMC in the Midd.le East who was wondering how to explain to her 3-year old what the sirens mean where they live. That is their reality and we need to be so thankful that we can sleep without worrying about sirens and bombs and our children can be normal and not see atrocities that they should never ever have to see.
It really puts things in perspective.
Since becoming a mother, I feel I have a different outlook on life and my view on the world has definitely shifted. Its like a lens whose axis has been changed. You can still see as you did before, but the perspective is new.
I have been wanting to write about this for a while and this seems like the appropriate post to do it.
I have always been a sympathetic person. Like any normal person I abhor violence and hate when it happens and innocents get injured or die. But since becoming a Mom these things just hit me MUCH harder.
Its like I can now really understand in an deep emotional way, what I previously could only in an intellectual way. The best way I can describe is that while I felt anger and sadness before, now its just more raw. And I guess its because its not just me looking at the world, its me as a mother of a child and what I would do to protect that child and give her the loving, safe environment she deserves.
I was watching CNN today and saw a video about Ir.aq and they showed these displaced people fleeing from their homes. One shot was of a group of people standing by the road, and there was a small girl in purple pants and a purple tunic. She must have been about 2 years old....she was just standing there with some older children and adults and who were talking, and seeing her I felt sad.
Sad......for her and even more for her parents because I knew that they (like any parent) would want to protect her and give her normalcy, but they are not be able to, given the circumstance they live in.
Similarly, I am a sobbing mess when I see the commercial for UNI.CEF. I could never watch them even earlier, but now as a mother, it is gut-wrenching to think what those other mothers are going through seeing their child cry from hunger and not be able to give them food.
It really makes one so very grateful about things we can provide our children that so many others in the world cannot. At the end of the day we just need to hug our children close and be thankful for what we have.
Such things makes our daily annoyances (like mine today - getting stuck in traffic) seem so very trivial!
I tried to avoid watching the news but some how I end up watching it at least once a week. Since giving birth last month it makes me more sensitive to the broadcast.
ReplyDeleteI typically avoid watching the news because I feel so helpless and the horrors around the world are so great. Living in my bubble is not the nest solution but I would be a depressed, worried ball of stress if I didn't.
ReplyDeleteI burst into tears at a cnn email update today that mentioned many of those children died from thirst in the hot sun while fleeing. I just can't imagine having to live through that.
ReplyDeleteI know :-(
DeleteI understand where you're coming from. For me, I think now I'm so much more sensitive because I realize what I have to lose & when I see someone else's suffering I imagine how they must be feeling. It's a scary world out there now
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your reflections... I get a taste of what you're talking about with my niece and nephew and with Zoey. Feeling a responsibility and such a deep attachment. It makes us more vulnerable. And it seems like you're saying you recognize a fundamental shift in yourself and the way you experience the pain in the world, especially that of children and mothers, which I think is a profound thing.
ReplyDeleteI started having some of those feelings you describe when my husband and I started planning having children. I would watch the news and think "what kind of world am I going to bring children in?" I'm also grateful that we don't live these situations on a daily basis.
ReplyDelete免費可以看裸聊直播app
ReplyDelete裸聊免費網
色情真人秀網站
免費語音視頻聊天室
美女真人裸聊聊天室
免費午夜秀視頻聊天室
台灣情人視頻聊天室
真人秀聊天室
國外免費視頻秀聊天室
午夜免費視訊聊天室