Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Mid-Year Resolution

The past few months have been so busy acclimatizing to having a baby and all that is involved in her care, that I have not been taking care of myself.

While the lack of sleep is understandable, I am also having very hurried stressed meals, hardly drinking any water, its been weeks since I ate fruit and not surprisingly given the above, I am very irregular (sorry TMI).

Now that I have had some time to settle into motherhood, and with Beanie now settling into a routine of sorts, I find myself getting more efficient in the evenings as I prepare for the end of the day e.g. clean kitchen, run dishwasher, wash bottles, prep bottles for night feeds, pump for night feed, etc.

So, with a smidgen of order emerging slowly, I have decided to make a mid-year resolution.

Take care of my body!

The one thing I have made time for since about 6 weeks post-partum is exercise. It is important to me both physically and mentally. I am happy that I am exercising 6 days a week and back to my pre-pregnancy weight (yay!).

The next its to focus on my eating...

Tomorrow I am going to get some fruit, (eg grapes and apples) so I can have them handy. Also in the past, I would have my fruit after dinner in lieu of dessert, but I don't get time for that now. So I will make it my mid-morning snack and out of the way early in the day!

Also, need to make a conscious effort to up my water intake. That has always been an issue with me, pre-Beanie days, but now its more important that I stay hydrated since I breastfeed her.

I am also trying to come up with creative ways to relax, eg deep-breathing/meditating when I pump milk, and switching my yoga routine from morning to night before bed, since I don't get time in the mornings.

I also need to move my bedtime earlier, that way I can be in sync with Beanie and get more sleep. Otherwise by the time I am getting ready for bed she is already done with several hours of sleep and ready for her night feed.

I think that is good start.

Let's see if I can stick with it.

Hope you all are having a wonderful 4th of July :-)





8 comments:

  1. Happy 4th of July. I have loads of confidence in your mid-year resolution. You are a determined person. Think of how amazing it is that you are already back to your pre-pregnancy weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So hard to do, but I know you'll be successful! All sound like very good goals - though I'm amazingly impressed that you've been so good with exercising. I'm going to try to do the same. Eventually. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Earlier this year I got the healthy eating down but have not been able to add in routine exercise, other than walks as time allows. I've been slipping on my healthy eating again... Do you have any secrets you can share on how you are able to fit in exercise 6 days a week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have carved out a fixed time during the day when I have to exercise, so plan around it, making sure I have someone watching Beanie for those 30-40min. If I left it open-ended, I would never get it done since one gets busy :-(
      I work from home so I have flexibility which most women may not have. Worst case, I can get on the exercise bike when she is napping if I miss my window for some reason.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of a mid-year resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you, girl! given this blessed adjustment to motherhood if we don't consciously make an effort to plan it ain't gon' happen; i'm still working on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you were able to get the weight back off. Other than water I drink only juice and mainly that which I make through my juicer.

    ReplyDelete