Thursday, December 27, 2012

Striking things off my List

The holidays were nice. We had a yummy dinner at my sister's place on Christmas Eve, marred only by the fact that after about an hour or so of my arriving her dog started acting really weird. He was all glassy eyed and unable to keep his balance.  He did however manage to open his gifts and chew the ear off the toy I bought him (and swallow it!). But by the end of the evening he looked really bad (to me). My sis kept saying he had been active all day and was probably just wiped out. To be honest I did not sleep well that night out of worry.

Next morning everyone came over for brunch and we figured out (after the fact) that the dog may have eaten one of the sleeping pills my BIL takes. The timing was around dinner time and maybe one fell on the ground and the dog swallowed it.  He slept that morning a lot, and was perfectly normal by evening on Christmas Day. Poor thing....no wonder he was all glassy eyed!

The day after Christmas and today I have been getting things done on my list of chores. I spend the mornings working on different areas in the house (taking breaks often) and the evenings lounging, watching TV and chilling. 

So far I have tidied up and deep cleaned my bedroom, organized and cleared out the guest room and closet, and today my Mom came over and we tackled the study.  We completely emptied out the closet and in the process organized some Christmas stuff and other things I had stored there.  Luckily, I am not a hoarder by nature so we were pretty much done in an hour or so. I am leaving my desk, filing cabinet and printer there for now on one side of the room and will continue to use it as a study for the next several months at least.

What I do hoard is boxes. Don't ask me why but I am compelled to save boxes that things come in, and even boxes things get shipped in. I went through several closets in the house and got rid of a ton of brown shipping boxes.

Also, I finally found a box large enough to ship my old laptop back to the office. I am so glad since that has been laying around for a YEAR!!!

This afternoon I tackled my closet and while I got rid of some things, I could have got rid of more, but as you know, one always vows that one will wear the clothes someday.

Tomorrow I will work in the yard. 

I want to empty out all the pots in which I had planted herbs and store them away. I don't plan to grow any seasonal herbs/veggies next spring, that way I can minimize my yard work and time spent watering which is a daily task out here in summer.

I also need to go through my pantry. I bet I have expired things in there, as I did in my freezer :-(

Hopefully I can get it done and spend the weekend to just relax. Actually just having things tidied up is mentally very relaxing for me, so I am feeling good about doing all this.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are being way too productive to be on a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how it feels to get things cleaned out. However, as soon as I clean out a closet or plastic storage bin my husband just fills it back up again with things he can't part with. Ugh!

    Odd note, I almost forgot about. Went to cousins for the holiday and their dog who always barks at everyone decided to meet me at the door along with the cat. The dog was still barking but wagging his tail and looked really happy to have me there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a busy bee! Seems a little "nesting-like" to me. ;-) Crazy story about the dog. If Zoey had acted like that, I might have freaked out a bit. Sounds like he acted just like anyone would act having a taken a sleeping pill! Did you guys talk much over Christmas about how next year will be really different with baby?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I only hoarded boxes. That would be fairly easy to get rid of I think. I need to take a que from your busy-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are productive as ever...well, good to do this now while you can. Pretty soon you are going to be one busy mama!

    ReplyDelete