Beanie loves the performing arts and that cannot make me happier.
I love live theater, dance, music and the fine arts and had always hoped my child would too.
I started taking Beanie to puppet shows in the city when she was three years old. Since then, we have been going about 3-5 times a year depending on the shows they have scheduled. This year I signed up for membership and I plan to renew again next year. The shows are fun and they have a creative workshop afterwards which Beanie enjoys.
The first dance performance Beanie saw was last December when I took her to see the Nutcracker, performed by a local dance academy. I was worried it may not hold her attention since its fairly long, but she was enthralled and could not stop talking about it. My Mom bough a DVD of the Nutcracker performed by the Royal Academy in London and Beanie watches it all the time.
This month we have had a lot of activities around the performing arts.
We saw Peter Pan at the puppetry arts center in mid-Nov. Then I happened to see a flyer at the local library for a performance of Annie Jr being done by a local community theater. I bought the tickets and surprised her with it. It was Beanie's first "musical" and she enjoyed it immensely. She was engaged and followed the story. I had acted in Annie when I was in the 9th grade so I had a wonderful time remembering the words to the songs and recalling who played which part in our high school production! It was amazing to see it again with my daughter :-)
We also have a local theater about 10 min away that is run by a creative young couple. They bring very good quality (and affordable) performances to our area. I have seen a myriad of shows including Jane Eyre, Into the Woods, The Music Man, Joseph, etc! This season I saw "Hairspary" and "Daddy Long Legs" which was awesome. I usually go with my neighbor.
The theater does kids shows, but they are mostly for field trips. They have only one public performance! Last year, by the time heard about it, it was too late. This year however they advertised and I bought tickets months in advance.
So, last weekend I took Beanie to see the "Elves and the Shoemaker". I was really excited to take her to the theater where I go. She loved the show and afterward we had a nice Mommy -Beanie lunch.
Yesterday, Beanie had her Christmas show with her dance school. They dressed as reindeer and did a cute tap routine to Rudolph. Beanie was amazing, she knew all the steps and did an incredible job. I am so proud of her. She is 5 1/2 years old and in an "Intermediate" class of 7 year old. I was initially unsure if she would be able to keep up, but she is mature, listens to instructions and is very keen to learn technique, not just run around like they do in the younger classes. I saw the performances put on by the 4-5 year old and even the 5-6 year old and they were really "baby" steps, so I think she is in the right place.
This coming Sunday I have bough tickets to the Nutcracker (again!). My Mom will come too as she did last year.
I think we will make it our annual holiday tradition!
No comments:
Post a Comment