My sweet Dad is not doing very well.
His pneumonia is worse despite being on antibiotics IV for 3 days. They moved him to ICU this evening and he is now on a ventilator.
I am so SO sad!
I am not ready to lose him.
Even though the cancer diagnosis was devastating, I was sure we would get a few years with him since he had a mutation that can be treated with oral meds. He did very well with radiation and chemo for his age, never lost weigh, etc, his Drs were impressed, and then everything went downhill from Aug when he got pneumonitis. That is a side effect of radiation and it took him 3 months to finally recover. I believe it totally compromised both his lungs and his immune system. After that had a few good weeks but then stopped eating and had shortness of breath etc which is what brought him to the Dr.
I am trying to stay positive, but bracing for the worst. I have been an emotional wreck all day!
I have not seen him since last Thursday when we went to see the RN and he was diagnosed with pneumonia with oral meds. On Mon I was to take him to his oncologist but Beanie had flu so my niece took them. Since then, with Beanie being sick and me, I have not been able to visit. We spoke on the phone briefly.
I feel horrible that I cannot be there for my Mom. Had Beanie not been ill and at school I would have spent my day working at the hospital and given my Mom some company. She has had to manage all this herself. My sis has been to see my dad and my Mom, brought her stuff from home, offered food etc, but its not the same as having another body there with you most of the time.
I cannot even imagine how hard this for my Mom.
Today Beanie went to school since she had no fever all day yesterday. She complained of an earache at mid nigh but after Ibuprufen was okay, and did not mention it in the morning. They had their Christmas party and I did not want her to miss it. When I picked he up early at 1pm, she looked really tired. Her teacher said she had complained of being warm but she did not have fever.
When we went home and I took it, it was 102.5!! The teacher only felt her forehead but did not send her to the nurse.
I gave her some Ibuprofen and immediate took her int the pediatrician and sure enough its an ear infection, so she is back to being sick/fever and on antibiotics. Her right lung still sounded a bit off as it did on Mon. We had done an x-ray on Mon which was fine, so the plan is if her fever does not improve in 48+ hrs then take her back for another x-ray for pneumonia,
Ugh...that is what my Dad has.....
I am so sorry about your dad’s illness. Praying for him and your family and for his recovery. Sending care to Beanie, too, ear infections are no fun.
ReplyDelete