The weekend is not going as I had hoped :-(
Thursday was Meet the Teacher at Beanie's elementary school. I picked up Beanie from Pre-K and we went over to her school, which is about one intersection away. It was packed, but we found curb-side parking. We went to her classroom and met her teacher. We got the teacher we requested - a recommendation from another friend. Also, Beanie has her good friend from Pre K in her class, so she is thrilled.
The teacher meet and greet went well. From there we headed to the cafeteria to check on the school lunch, bus routes, etc. I plan to send Beanie lunch from home, but I put $20 into the school lunch account for emergencies (eg she drops her lunch on the floor) and maybe for pizza on Friday. After we were done, we decided to go to the ASP (After School Program) to pay for the first week of school.
I walked ahead, with Beanie following me, and my Mom behind Beanie, but some distance away. I walk through the open double doors and I hear a "scrunch"sound behind me.
Beanie was looking sideways whilst walking and banged her forehead into the metal bar the separates the two doors.
Freaked me out, and the poor guy who had a table close by trying to sign up kids for karate.
Thankfully she did not split her skin, but it was a really bad bang. She was crying and also fussing that she did not want ice.
Ugh!
After calming her down a bit, we went to the nurse. Beanie was insisting she did not want to go, but I told her o had papers and medication to give the nurse (which i did). The nurse examined her and had Beanie ice her forehead.
That pretty much ruined the whole event. I quickly sign up for ASP later and we came home amid a huge rainstorm.
I was really worried about head trauma, so once home I kept an eye on Beanie and woke her every 2 hrs at night as the nurse said to make sure she was not concussed!
Not a fun night for either of us.
Next day - Friday - she was fine and she went to her last day at Pre-K. They were having an ice cream party and I did not want her to miss it. I told her teacher about the incident asked her to please keep an eye on her. I called during the day although I could see from the room cameras that she was fine.
After I picked her up we went to meet some of her Montessori teachers at a coffee place. They are almost friends now, given they worked with my Mom. Beanie was happy to meet them as was I. About 45 min or so into the meeting Beanie became all clingy, sitting on my lap, hugging me. I knew she was tired given the long night we had, and I asked if she felt okay. She said yes.
When we were leaving, she felt a bit warm and I planned to bring her home and take her fever, but she seemed to perk up and insisted we go to my parents house - her usual Fri plans. I had decided to not take her given the bad night we had, school day and the coffee meet-up. But I acquiesced and took her over.
About an hour later my Mom calls saying Beanie felt warm and was really clingy. I swallowed a quick bit of dinner and went over to their place. I took her temperature and sure enough she has 100.5. She also had a cough that I noticed that morning. It 7:30pm. I decided to take her to a pediatric urgent care. Luckily, they were no people there and we got to see the doc within 5 minutes. Beanie's one ear was red, so was her throat (not strep though) and glands were swollen so she got put on Amox. I told the Dr about the head bang situation as well and she checked her out and said that seemed fine.
We raced back to the pharmacy and got there 15 min before closing ad got her script filled, then came home.
Ugh...poor thing.
We had yet another bad night since I was now i was checking her fever, etc. Today she has had fever all day about 100.5 ish, but there was a big gap where it was 99. She has been coughing a lot. These things tend to trigger her cough variant asthma - double ugh.
So, now with school on Monday I have no idea if she will miss the first day of Kindergarten :-(. I need her to be fever free without meds all day tomorrow which seems unlikely at this point, to be honest.
Hope we get some rest tonight!
Oh dear, that sounds scary. I worry about head traumas too, although looking back my brother bumped his head dozens of times and he's OK. I'm sorry you went through that worry, and then on top of that she got sick. Sending healing thoughts and hugs.
ReplyDeleteOh, poor Beanie! I hope she starts to feel better very soon!
ReplyDelete