Beanie's fever finally broke after 8 straight days!
Picking up from my last post;
On Thursday I took her back in. It had been 72 hrs on the second antibiotic and there was no improvement. She was still spiking fever of 101-102 once the meds wore off. The Dr suggested that if we got another high temp on Thurs, then we needed to go in the next morning to do a a CBC blood count to look deeper into what was going on.
On Friday, which happened to be my b'day (worst one ever!), we were at the hospital lab bright and early getting her blood drawn. It was a CBC count from the vein. I was terrified for her, but she was amazingly brave and the technician's got the vein in one try. The blood report was "fine" and the Dr said it was possibly a viral pneumonia which is why the antibiotics were not working. They said it could take 7-14 days!
On Sat her coughing was getting worse. She was coughing every 5-10 seconds (!), Her O2 levels were fine since I have a PulseOx monitor at home. I took her back to the Dr - 4th visit in 8 days - and this time it was her own Ped. He gave us some prednisone to take the cough down a notch and switched her antibiotic to Zithromycin since it had now been 5 days of the second antibiotic (Cefdinir) and her fever was still there.
He explained that the second antibiotic was covering the 90% of the common bacteria kids, but there is still 10% bacteria that are more seen in teens and adults. The Z-pack (kids version) would address that. BTW I was on Zpack for my pneumonia in Dec.
So back to the pharmacy we went. It was my b'day but I was so stressed and worried about her that there were no celebrations, I did not even answer phones and texts.
On Saturday lunchtime, after we came back from the Dr, her fever spiked back to 101.5. I gave her Ibuprofen and basically after that it did not come back. She did not have any at bedtime, through the night, this morning and at 1pm today (24 hr) mark. Now she has a runny nose (cold?) and her tummy is bad with all the antibiotics she has taken, but no fever and she actually ate food today!
She is on the mend. The cough is better too although we still have not had a decent nights sleep in 10 days. Hoping today I get more than 4 hrs!
Technically, she could go to school tomorrow since we have had over 24 hrs of no fever, but I plan to keep her home a couple of more days to ensure her cough get better (she is still using her inhaler every few hrs), she gets her appetite back, gets rest and does not have a relapse. Most likely it will be Thursday.
Oh and I think she picked this bug up at the Pre-K, since two kids we know who also attend that school had it. And today when I was at the grocery store I bumped into one of Beanie's friends from her Pre K class. That's kids little sister had pneumonia too a few weeks back.
No comments:
Post a Comment