Today has been one of those not so great parenting days.
The type of days where you are literally counting the hours for the day to end. It been raining and we are stuck indoors and are petty much getting on each other's nerves. Well, I can speak for myself at least.
I am tired and worn out!
Beanie has not been sleeping well due to a cold earlier this week and teething her final set of molars. She wakes up crying at night either because her "nosey is not good" or just generally which I think is the teething. I think the exhaustion is catching up to me and I have much less patience than I would like. I have also not had any of my normal downtime at night since I end up sleeping with her early so I can get at least a few hours of sleep. I think that tradeoff of sleep vs downtime that is affecting me too. Plus PMS!
I was reading last night on a blog that the hardest thing about parenting is the lack of recovery time. We don't get any! It is not like one can catch up on one's sleep or chores or just sanity the next day or the next....it just snowballs.
I am sure its with all Mom's (SMC or not) but life is so scheduled that even one small change (eg keeping Beanie home last Monday since she seemed a bit under the weather), catches up and sends everything off the rails. Grocery runs, works, chores all get unscheduled and one had to work harder to get it all back on track.
Beanie is napping now. I had a quick nap and managed to drink my coffee, and I hope when she wakes up, we have better evening than the morning we have had.
My PMS sure isn't helping my mood, nor is the endless rain we are having here. Today was supposed to be her school picnic but it got cancelled due to the rain and cold.
This stuff is hard sometimes!
Update:
I think the vent post above and the coffee improved my mood and when Beanie woke up from a nap, I was able to be more present and loving and turn the day around with some warm snuggles and tickle sessions in bed. That got us both in a better frame of mind and the evening went well. My Mom came over a for an hour to play with Beanie giving me time to cook dinner and step out to Tar.get to get a few things which also helped.
Ahh, sounds like a rough patch. Sorry things have been hectic and exacerbated by colds and pms, etc. I can imagine what you described about things not letting up or not being able to rest. That's my fear as an introvert. With adoption they have respite providers - maybe you need a respite provider to watch Beanie for an evening or day once a week or as needed. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's like that isn't it?! It's definitely true about the lack of recovery time. So glad you were able to get a little nap in yourself though. Coffee and a happier child after a nap is always a winner :-)
ReplyDeleteSo glad things turned around!! It is hard and I am constantly amazed how one little thing can throw the balance of our lives off! And glad your mom could lend a helping hand. It is amazing how a little thing like that can also help to get you back on track!
ReplyDelete