Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A Typical Day

I have been wanting to write a post to record what a typical working day schedule is for us and has been for a while, so here goes:

7am: Wake Up
      - I used to let us sleep in since there was no set time for Beanie to be in school, but I realized that it would push out my work day start too far. So now we wake with an alarm. On days we sleep badly I turn it off.

7-7:15am:  Make bed, change Beanie's diaper, get her clothes into my room and tidy up.

7:15-7:30 am:  Go downstairs, put kettle on for tea, get Beanie her milk, and get her breakfast/snack. (wheat waffle, pancake or oatmeal)

7:30 -8:00am: Drink my tea while Beanie watches Curious Ge.orge. I prepare her lunch. I also check emails and respond to anything from the previous night. Many times we will snuggle on the couch for some time.

8:00 -8:30am: We go back upstairs to brush teeth, get dressed. This can be a time consuming task depending on how cooperative Beanie's is. We play on the bed for a bit and get in some giggles.

8:35 am: We head out to school (ideally)

8:45-8:50am: Drop Beanie off.
         - There is carpool until 8:45am, sometimes we make it if we leave at 8:30 on the dot, other times we are there by 8:50 so I walk her in.

9:00-9:15am Back home, unless I need to stop by Fresh Mar.ket to get some organic stuff for her.

9:15-9:30am I shower and get dressed

9:30-9:45am Have breakfast and start work, check emails etc. Sometimes on days we are running late its 10am by the time I get started.

9:45am-2:45pm: Work, have a working lunch due to calls.

2:45pm: Leave to pick up Beanie

3:00pm: Pick up Beanie

3:15pm: Back home. My Mom is waiting

3:15-3:35pm: Make Beanie a snack, get her settled in, get myself some tea, check work emails

3:40 - 5:30 Go upstairs to my office and work. Beanie gives me a "big hug" says "bye bye". She and my Mom play downstairs for a bit then up in her playroom.

5:30pm: Come down and get dinner started. Beanie is usually outside with my Mom. Pop out to say hello. My dad comes over.

6:00 pm:  Beanie has dinner. I check emails and sit with her while she eats. My dad is on the exercise bike. My Mom has left by then.

6:15pm:  Beanie finishes dinner and my Dad gets her hands washed while I clear the kitchen.

6:15 - 6:45pm: My Dad and Beanie have their 1-1 play time. I get her lunch packed for the next day, cook my dinner if its something different, get the bed ready, reply to work emails.

6:45pm My Dad leaves and I play with Beanie. Its our alone time which I cherish.

7:00pm:  Ideally we should be going up for a bath, but if we only got 15 min to play we extend to 7:15pm

7:15pm Bath, pajamas

7:30pm: Come down to get bedtime milk

7:30 - 7:45:  Beanie drinks milk, we read 4-5 books, brush teeth

7:45-8:00pm:  Light out, we talk and snuggle

8:00-8:30pm:  Beanie asleep. I get my dinner around 8:30pm and begin reading blogs etc

9:00 pm: Put my dishes away, tidy up downstairs, turn on the dishwasher. Check emails.

9:00-10:30pm:  Surf the net, pay bills, watch something on NetFlix, put laundry away, get her clothes ready for the next day. Sometimes I work if I have a lot to get done.

10:30pm Go to bed.

As you can see its pretty structured and works for us.

On weekends things are different since we sleep later due to a longer afternoon nap.

Ideally, I should have Beanie up and ready for a bath at 7pm, that gives her a good 20 min play in the bath and she is asleep around 8pm after books etc, but many days it slips and its 8:30pm by the time she is asleep. Especially now with DST its easier to let the time slip by, plus that is our 1-1 time so sometimes if its been a busy evening with me cooking dinner, I feel I need to devote that time playing with her.




2 comments:

  1. I love these post! Your schedule sounds very smooth. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your schedule is a lot better than mine. When my husband gets home from work he takes over the main part of the baby work while I get off my feet since I'm still on full pelvic rest. But that means E manipulates him. I can get her down for a nap in under 5 minutes while it can take him 30 minutes. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete