Today my Mom very sweetly offered to take Beanie to their house for a couple of hours in the morning, giving me time to do some yard work and run a few errands. Then tonight my Mom came over for 3 hrs so I could go out to sushi dinner with a friend. Its been a good day for me to recharge my batteries.
Beanie has been on Spring Break this week. I took the week off as well so we have been doing fun things everyday.
Monday was her 2 year check up - she is now 30.5 lbs and height of 37 inches! The Ped estimates she will be 5ft8" or 5ft9" by the time she is fully grown.
The visit did not go well. Firstly we entered from the "well visit" side which she is not used to. We are always on the "sick" side so it was a different experience in terms of where to go. Then they surprised us by wanting to check her BP. I had not prepared her for it and she flipped out. The BP as a result was a bit high - not surprising given her emotional state - so it was a entirely pointless exercise. But it set the precedent for her to be teary throughout the visit.
Next meltdown was seeing the tongue compressor - she hates it. I have taught her how to say "aaaah" with her tongue out which she did and there was no need for the tongue compressor but seeing it freaked her out and she bawled through the entire exam - grabbing at me and wanting to cling on. Sigh :-( Then there was a blood draw and one shot. I decided she needed some cheering afterwards, so we went to Wendy's and got a frosty.
On Wed, we went to I.KEA which Beanie loves and calls the "far away store". I had hoped to buy her a table and chair but the chair was out of stock - I foolishly did not check beforehand. Despite that it was a fun trip and Beanie enjoyed herself. I picked up a few small things.
The next day we went out to breakfast for my Dad's birthday and then Hom.e Dep.ot to get flowers. I also got a tomato plant since I think Beanie will enjoy seeing the fruits come in. We then spent an hour planing pots, including a pot for her to take care of. I am trying to teach her to to stop pulling the petals off the flowers!
Yesterday we went to Ba.by G.ap to buy summer clothes for Beanie. Its gotten quite warm suddenly and she only had 2-3 short sleeved shirts that fit her. We made out like bandits, buying $154 worth of clothes an ended up paying 0.13c...yep -- 13 cents!!!!
Tomorrow we plan to have a relaxed morning - no rushing out of the house - no plans. Get some jobs done around the house, if I can.
I would love to take her to the park, but not sure I want to deal with the inevitable meltdown that happens when we leave. The 'terrible twos" are upon us in earnest and I am seeing a lot more defiance and shouting "no" and meltdowns when asked to leave an activity. Ugh.
While its been fun spending time with Beanie, its also exhausting to keep coming up with ways to keep her entertained. I am ready for school on Monday.
It's nice that your mom took Beanie and allowed you to have some "me" time.
ReplyDeleteI looked into the Gap card but unfortunately we don't get the same deal in Canada so I'm still envious of you ;)
Enjoy your day!
Sounds like a great week! Good for you for getting some me time too!
ReplyDeleteThat "me" time must have been amazing! But isn't it funny how quickly the time flies when you're just getting through those chores/errands and not actually getting time to enjoy the quiet?! Ah those meltdowns. I've been trying to manage them since E was 13 months old and leaving the park was always the WORST thing I could ever do to him (apparently)! Still the same at 21 months.
ReplyDeleteI thought I did well at Gap in Australia a few days ago and bought 8 toddler items for $80. You've just reminded me (yet again) how everything is more expensive in my country, and we would NEVER have access to a deal like your 13c purchases! Sigh.
Glad you got some "me" time! And wow, you guys accomplished a lot while you were both off! I am impressed!!
ReplyDelete